Author Topic: Slow Vista shutdown  (Read 3115 times)

shunt

Slow Vista shutdown
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
Hello!

Though I'm new to this forum, I'm an happy Avast! Home user since 2002 :)

About one month ago, trying to find the source of the slow Vista shutdown (it takes about 4 minutes) on my Toshiba Satellite A100 notebook, I uninstalled Avast! and installed Avira Free;
After this step, my Vista started to always shutdown succesfully in about 20 seconds.
Since there are no known bugs related to a similar behaviour, I believe it's a Toshiba drivers related trouble, as my home pc, which also has Vista, works perfectly.
I use Vista Home premium 32 bit on my notebook and Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my home pc.
My Avast! Home is up to date.
I'd like to exclude the driver or the app that is causing this from Avast! standard shield, but I don't know how to find it.
Is there a way to know what application is slowing down avast resident protection at Windows shutdown?
Can anybody help me?

I thank you in advance.

shunt

bobo1

Re: Slow Vista shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:38:35 PM »
You need to remove any remains of other antivirusus on your computer as any remains of other antivirus will cause trouble with avast causing a hang?
Have you had other anti virus software on other than avira?

shunt

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi bobo1!
Thanks for your reply.
I removed the preinstalled Norton suite many months ago with Norton Uninstall application before Avast! installation.
Then I uninstalled Avast! before trying Avira Free last month, and I did the same when I switched back to Avast! few days ago.
I never had two avs at the same time.

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Have you tried using Crap Cleaner to clean out unused temp files also this has a registry cleaner in this to get rid of all bits of dead registry files that are no good. Also Try Malware Bytes anti spyware & Spybot Search and destroy anti spyware programes as these are free remove what they find ?. And then try and reinstall avast antivirus and see if this cures the problems? of slow shutdown?

shunt

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:08:13 PM »
I did a complete scan with SuperAntiSpyware and my system is clean.
I also deleted temp files and did an Avast! reinstallation but nothing changed.
I forgot to report that sometimes, after very short Windows sessions with no heavy tasks (for example no use of 3d studio max), the shutdown takes only 30 seconds.
I think the trouble is related to Avast! and another task because Avira Free never delayed Vista shutdown...

Thanks for your help

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

shunt

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »
Hello mathboyx!
Thanks for your help.
I tried with norton removal tool but it didn't help  :(
Did any Toshiba notebook user deal with slow Vista shutdown?

Thanks to this great forum