Author Topic: Which Firewall will be suggested?  (Read 15833 times)

Joe S

Re: Which Firewall will be suggested?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
I'm using the latest Comodo on vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. For windows 7 I ran in compatibility mode for Vista. Just watch closely what you chose to install. When It gets to a screen with Hot Surf Toolbar Ask Toolbar and something else UNCHECK all of them. I tried Outpost and didn't like it.
Joe

Yachiru

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »
I'm using the latest Comodo on vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. For windows 7 I ran in compatibility mode for Vista. Just watch closely what you chose to install. When It gets to a screen with Hot Surf Toolbar Ask Toolbar and something else UNCHECK all of them. I tried Outpost and didn't like it.
Joe
same as mine. i didn't install the hopsurf toolbar.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
Outpost 09 Free on the R50 (spec below) has given me no problems at all. To save time I simply resorted to choosing auto learn mode every time, and everything seemed to fall into place without a worry. I've borrowed it out a couple of times, the kids were on it (both under 10 years old) and a couple of their programs on it when returned but no problems. I rang up a few times as the household are relatively computer illiterate, kids aside, and everyone was quite at home with the setup. Bit of a surprise really.

Tho' came back with MSE had turned itself off. Turned back on and updated so all good.

I also have OA on a couple of computers, which I like a lot but I find OA a bit more work intensive.

Edit - I should add that the kids programs are loaded to the computer from disk, and then link to the internet site where they password in to their online accounts. They then find more than enough to keep them occupied. The mum is computer literate, so she has always bought the disks - like ScoobyDoo, SpongeBob, etc (they dont cost that much really) - and ensured the young ones are aware that safe practice is taking place.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:35:39 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
Thanks Scott. Yes, Online Armor firewall.
I have the paid version on quite an important computer that I use for reception. Email, banking, licenses, documentation, online auctions, that kind of stuff. I find that the OA program does expect a lot from you and need to be dutiful, and also patient with it at times. Mostly the stuff I do involves trustworthy sites so that saves me time when it comes to setting precedents at the gateway. I dont have to go search a reference every time an unknown entity is knocking at the door to be allowed in or out of the computer.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

ePost

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
According to thier site PC Tools added native support for Windows 7 x64 in the new version of the free firewall that came out yesterday. Quote:

Current Version: 6.0.0.74
Released: September 29, 2009
Size: 10,555 KB
Platforms: Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit) , Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)

Link: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Joe S

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »
According to thier site PC Tools added native support for Windows 7 x64 in the new version of the free firewall that came out yesterday. Quote:

Current Version: 6.0.0.74
Released: September 29, 2009
Size: 10,555 KB
Platforms: Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit) , Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)

Link: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

I Installed the PC Tools yesterday on Windows 7 64 bit Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit. All work fine. Matousec rates it higher than Comodo http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
Joe