Author Topic: Avast Update=package is broken  (Read 14563 times)

roro

Avast Update=package is broken
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »
I was having trouble this morning with the "error package is broken message" for both antivirus and program updates.  After reading about how to fix this problem, repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling Avast twice, it still showed the error.
Just now as I was about to send this message, my Avast updated its virus definitions and the program update worked.  Was something going on this morning at the Avast website?  Did anyone else have this problem?
I guess I should have just waited a while to see if it would fix itself, but not having current virus definitions always makes me nervous.
RoRo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Update=package is broken
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »
Please check if the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def is displayed correctly, it should contain [servers] on the first line.

You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder, disabling the avast self-defense module first.

How do you connect to internet, is it ADSL? And do you have other computers with working avast updates using the same connection?

Try to open avast settings - Update (Connections), press Proxy button, and select Direct connection, press OK to confirm. Then try to start iAVS update manually again.
The best things in life are free.

roro

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
Actually Tech,
I did all the things you suggested before uninstalling and installing Avast two times.  Nothing worked.
Eventually my Avast started working correctly, and I now have no complaints. 
I was just wondering if anyone else had had the same problem this morning with their Avast. It may have been a problem with the server on the website end.

RoRo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
Ok... it's difficult to fight against temporary glitches...
The best things in life are free.

roro

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »
I am having the same problem again early this morning.  I haven't done anything yet as it resolved itself last time, but I don't know what is causing it.  I have scanned for viruses, malware., and spyware.
My virus is updated only until 8/25/09.  Can I download and install the virus update by going to the Avast website.  I have been there but can't seem to find the file.
I am using a broadband internet cable connection. My virus database is updated to 9/1/09 on my other machine, so it is only happening on this machine.
Tech, how do you disable the Avast self defense module.  I shut down my scanners but they won't let me replace the servers.def file.
RoRo ??? ???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:07:12 AM by roro »

roro

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
Hi,
I guess I don't need any help for now.  I ran a repair and Avast updated my Virus Definitions.  I still don't know why this has happened twice now.  The repair didn't work the last time.  I must have a gremlin in my machine.
Oh Oh, The package is broken again!!!!  At least I am updated to the latest virus definitions for now.  this is obviously a problem with Avast and my desktop computer.  I ran another virus scan and nothing was found.

RoRo ???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:46:06 AM by roro »

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »
Have you made sure that PC Tools firewall knows about the latest avast! update Build: Aug2009 (4.8.1351)?

The firewall has to be re-trained to let any known changed and approved application by you  that it is OK to go out onto the Internet.  ;)

roro

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
YoKenny,
You are right.
I think PC Firewall is the problem.  When I shut it down, the Avast updated its virus definitions.  When I restarted the package was broken.
It seems to be working correctly now with PC Firewall running.
Thank you,
RoRo
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:00:43 PM by roro »

MrBill

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:11 AM »
I am having the problem now and would like to hear from Avast how they plan to fix it.