Author Topic: Version 4.8  (Read 4025 times)

bcodd

Version 4.8
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »
I have version 4.8 on my computer (using XP Pro).  Had it on for several months. I DEARLY would like to "Remove it."   :)  Yes, I did use "Remove Software" from the Control Panel!!  BTW, I have a tad above average experience but am not an "expert."

When I click on Remove it just blinks the highlite and stays right there.  It will NOT remove!  And the desktop icon remains but will not run.

The bigger problem is I can NOT install AVG Antivirus UNTIL I remove Avast!!

Can anyone give me a clue??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Version 4.8
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
It sounds like your installation is corrupt and this may have meant other problems in your use. Are these what made you decide to uninstall ?

In Add remove programs, there is a Change/Remove button and that should open another window with other options, Repair, etc. so that part is corrupt, so there are likely to be other issues.

If the reason you wish to uninstall are problems with the current install, try this:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bcodd

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:50:21 AM »
Thanks David, I managed to get past this problem but I ran it from the normal Windows and it worked fine that way.

One further curiosity . . . . in my "Programs" listing after clicking on "Start" . . . .  I still have Avast(2) in the list there and when I click on it (I would love to see it gone!!) it takes me to the Avast site.  Is there an easy way to remove it from the Programs list?

BTW, I find it very difficult to find most anything on this forum when I look for messages or wish to reply.  I may be a Newbie here but I also must be blind because I took forever to find a way to reply once I read your first message and logged out.  At 70 have I lost it all??  I sure hope not!!

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:41 AM »
If it's in the programs list you should be able to right click on Avast(2) and choose delete.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
Thanks David, I managed to get past this problem but I ran it from the normal Windows and it worked fine that way.

One further curiosity . . . . in my "Programs" listing after clicking on "Start" . . . .  I still have Avast(2) in the list there and when I click on it (I would love to see it gone!!) it takes me to the Avast site.  Is there an easy way to remove it from the Programs list?

BTW, I find it very difficult to find most anything on this forum when I look for messages or wish to reply.  I may be a Newbie here but I also must be blind because I took forever to find a way to reply once I read your first message and logged out.  At 70 have I lost it all??  I sure hope not!!

It doesn't always work from safe mode as the avast self-defence module may oreven it from working properly, I don't know if that is the cause of the resulting avast(2) in the Programs List from Start. That is why we suggest running it from safe mode, as a) you clearly couldn't uninstall it from add remove programs, b) because of this the self-defence module may be active and c) avast doesn't run in safe mode so shouldn't imped the uninstall utility.

You shouldn't need to log out, saves you having to logon again. When a reply is made to a topic you create or participate in you should receive an email, in that email is a link to the topic and since you didn't log off you would be good to reply.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bcodd

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
Thanks David and Marc.  Both answers were most helpful and I appreciate the promptness.  I'm new and I'm at times slow but I do learn.

I put this system together about a year ago and this Fall got hit by a slug of virus/Trojan type problems and it never has been just right since then.  I'm right on the edge of blowing it all away and doing a totally clean new install, maybe even a new SATA drive while I'm doing it.  It's a pain but been done before.   ;)

Once again, Thanks!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
You're welcome.