Author Topic: How to get Avast to let me do a clean boot?  (Read 3138 times)

sparge

How to get Avast to let me do a clean boot?
« on: August 27, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
Hi all,

Using Windows XP Home SP3 with Avast, Online Armor, MalwareBytes Antimalware and Trojanhunter. I am trying to solve a soundcard problem and I want to uninstall the soundcard following a clean boot, as per recommended procedure from Creative. I unload OA, MBAM and TH, and I right-click Stop On-Access Protection to try and stop Avast interfering. Then I start msconfig and change the settings, but when I click OK, the hard disk goes mental for about 30 seconds and then Avast pops up a message saying that it has blocked my changes. I don't see what else I can do to keep Avast at bay. Anyone know the solution, please?

Andy

spg SCOTT

Re: How to get Avast to let me do a clean boot?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »
Hi sparge,

I don't see why an uninstall needs you to disable all protection to procede...but...

You are running into the self-defense module of avast! - There to stop what you are doing from happening ;)

To disable the self defense module, you will need to do this:

Right click avast! tray icon --> program settings --> Troubleshooting --> check 'Disable avast! self defense module'

Since you have disabled all protection, I would disconnect from the net during this uninstall...(maybe even do a scan before also)

-Scott-

EDIT Don't forget to re-enable self defense after also ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:49:29 PM by spg SCOTT »

sparge

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:54:10 PM »
Hi Scott,

Blimey, that was faster than a speeding bullet! Thanks.

Sorry, in describing my course of action, I omitted to say that I am disconnecting from the net before unloading or disabling anything  :-[ As regards the why of disabling all protection, I'm only following instructions, but it seems logical to me. Thank you for the intel about working around the self-defense module. I hope the clean boot helps when I actually do it.

Andy

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »
No Problem, glad to help :)

Let us know how it goes...

-Scott-

sparge

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
Will do. Actually, I misled you a bit when I said I was only following instructions. The only instructions are "From a clean boot..." and that was what I was unable to achieve. The disabling everything first just seemed sensible ...

Andy