Author Topic: Err 13/Two Anti-Virus/Demo Question  (Read 11812 times)

macmomma08

Err 13/Two Anti-Virus/Demo Question
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:39:06 AM »
Hi, I am new to Mac Avast and have two questions.

When I scan my computer it doesn't say I have a virus, but I do get like 800 err 13 messages saying it doesn't have permission. Now, I searched the forums and found that this is like just some kind of mac security thing, but I don't understand why I can't scan them when I am logged onto administrator.

Shouldn't I be able to scan anything as the administrator?

Also, I run WoW, and the blizzard security posts say you can have two anti-virus, so I downloaded avast to try in addition to mcafee. But my friend told me this is wrong and you can't do that, however he has a pc.

Are macs different or should I choose one and delete the other? I know you can have more than 1 spyware blocker.

Also, I can't find a register button or anything on the Avast!. If I want to buy it, how do I legitimize my copy?

And finally, is there a way I can give Avast! permission to scan everything like I can with MacScan?

Thanks!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Err 13/Two Anti-Virus/Demo Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »
Error 13 is normal. The next version will suppress most of the error 13s.

Mac OS X is a unix system. You may be an administrator but you do not always run with administrator privileges. This is why you are asked to authenticate when you install software, change settings, etc.

You should not run 2 Antivirus software packages at once on any operating system.

When you purchase Avast for Mac you will be mailed a license file. You will then enter that file from the avast menu (It should say change license or enter license). Also you will be prompted for the license file after the 60 day trial ends if you have not already purchased the program by that time.

I really doubt your other Antivirus software had permission to scan everything. Most likely it just didnt report the files it did not scan like avast does.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

macmomma08

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:58:38 AM »
Oh okay, tvym. I will go uninstall McAfee then. If it's not going to even tell me what it's scanning it can't be all that great. :P

macmomma08

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »
Oh, so does that mean that I can't ever scan those files, but it's okay and normal and not a problem?

macmomma08

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
Arrgh... I've been trying to remove mcAfee for two hours! I can't get the stupid uninstaller to uninstall, it keeps asking me for a password and when I type it in it says no that's not right. And I can't get to it from my admin account. Can someone tell me if it's okay to just drag and drop into trash?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »
This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (2007)

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).
The best things in life are free.

macmomma08

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
Thanks, I think I got it off all the way. I took the uninstall file (I downloaded from my college's website) and moved to the shared folder then accessed with my admin account and that time it worked.

Alot of stress just to remove a program LOL. I think it is all gone because I did a search for mcafee & virusscan and only my pdf showed up.

Can someone just confirm for me that this whole err 13 is not something that needs to be scanned?

Thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
Thanks, I think I got it off all the way. I took the uninstall file (I downloaded from my college's website) and moved to the shared folder then accessed with my admin account and that time it worked.

Alot of stress just to remove a program LOL. I think it is all gone because I did a search for mcafee & virusscan and only my pdf showed up.

Can someone just confirm for me that this whole err 13 is not something that needs to be scanned?

Thanks

Hallo,
err13 = incaccessible (for user) file - thus, wasn't scanned, when the antivirus performs task on user's request.
if you wanna scan those files too, run avast as root (~ sysadmin's account). but, the probably won't contain infection anyway...

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

macmomma08

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:11:10 PM »
But that is my problem, I don't know how to scan them. I tried logging into my admin account but it still said I didn't have permission to scan those files still. So my question is how do I make my administrator have permission?

Apparently on macs administrators are not all powerful? It is weird.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
But that is my problem, I don't know how to scan them. I tried logging into my admin account but it still said I didn't have permission to scan those files still. So my question is how do I make my administrator have permission?

Apparently on macs administrators are not all powerful? It is weird.

As Zilog said you must login as root to scan the files. root is the true Administrator account in a Unix/Linux/Mac system. But as Zilog said the files avast can not scan are unlikely to carry an infection.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

macmomma08

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:07:48 AM »
How do I find it? Where do I go on the mac to get to it?

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
How do I find it? Where do I go on the mac to get to it?

I really do not recommend using the root account. But if you absolutely must enable it here is the KB Article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

macmomma08

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
Okay, so it is not a good idea to turn that on to scan the files? So Should I just leave them unscanned?

Sorry I just don't want to leave something that might be unsafe, so I want to make sure I understand.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 04:50:54 AM »
Okay, so it is not a good idea to turn that on to scan the files? So Should I just leave them unscanned?

Sorry I just don't want to leave something that might be unsafe, so I want to make sure I understand.

You dont really need to scan those files as it is unlikely they would be infected anyway. Avast scans all areas that might contain malware.

macmomma08

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 01:48:28 AM »
Okay thank you very much for clearing that up :)