Author Topic: Avast installation problem  (Read 4479 times)

some_weird_kid

Avast installation problem
« on: May 30, 2004, 02:26:26 AM »
I've been working on cleaning up a computer that was loaded with viruses and spyware.  I'm almost there, after many Ad-Aware searches, and multiple virus scanners (as not every scanner finds the same files).  I have now removed them all and want to install Avast before I return the computer, as I believe this is the best virus checker to leave running.

Now comes the problem...

It won't install.  It's a Windows ME system, and the strange thing is that I've had Avast installed before.  It was one of the many that I installed and used to clear out different virus problems, yet now it won't install again.  It says that "Another program requires the computer to reboot" and requests that I try and install again after a reboot.  It does not work even after reboot, however, and gives the same message even in safe mode.  

When I clear the ALWIL Sofware folder from Program Files it no longer gives me this message.  However, it still won't install.  Just as it begins transferring files, it tells me that Avast has interfered with Kernell32.dll and closes.  Each time this happens, it manages to install a few files to the ALWIL folder in Program Files.  

Can anyone help me?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast installation problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 04:17:58 PM »
Could you reinstall everything?
I know it's a hard question but, using multiple virus scanners at the same system will damage the Windows Registry so much that repair is not so easy.

You can try before:

1. Disable the System Restore and, after this, enable again. Try to install avast...
2. Try to remove the traces of previous antivirus installations. Some applications have special uninstallers in their websites (for instance, Symantec).
3. To remove avast see: http://files.avast.com/files/eng/avclear4.exe or RejZor's special tool: http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/avast_external_control.zip
The best things in life are free.

some_weird_kid

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 07:42:18 PM »
Amen with the registry problems.  I've experienced a lot of that already, and I was just forced to restore the registry.  I'll go through again and thoroughly uninstall all of the antivirus products.  Thanks.

some_weird_kid

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 08:55:53 PM »
Well, I was able to uninstall all of the other antivirus products without too much trouble, and used the utitlity to completely uninstall Avast.  This allows me to open the installer without the "Program requires computer to reboot" error message.  Unfortunately, after I choose the install options and the progress bar goes through a good percentage, I still get the error that the install program has caused an error in Kernell32.dll  I'm not sure what else I can do to get the product installed, and hope for some more advice.

some_weird_kid

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 11:24:08 PM »
Should I just resign myself to not being able to use Avast?

KezzerDrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 11:26:20 PM »
you would be giving up a lot.

I would suggest giving up Windows ME before giving up Avast!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:31:44 PM by KezzerDrix »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 02:14:25 PM »
Can you reinstall Windows Me over the actual installation?
You won't loose your configurations (only the Windows updates). I did this in the past for a friend of mine that uses Me and it works, not only to avast but other applications too.

Anyway, it's a well known fact that Windows Me has some instabilities with firewall and antivirus applications  :'(
The best things in life are free.

some_weird_kid

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 03:00:52 AM »
Actually, I was debating about that as my next course of action.   I'll just have to obtain the installation CD's from the owner.  Thanks for the suggestion!