Author Topic: Yahoo, Thunderbird & Avast  (Read 1959 times)

Chief Engineer

Yahoo, Thunderbird & Avast
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
Hi All!

I love Avast & have been using the free version for 3 years. This is a great forum. I have found the answers to all of my questions just be doing a search, plus I just enjoy lurking to see what is going on. Today, however, I have a bit of a problem that search could not solve. Here it is,

I use Thunderbird & have a free Yahoo account. There are 2 extensions, Webmail & Yahoo Webmail that allow Thunderbird to access the free Yahoo account. This combination has worked great. From time to time Yahoo makes changes to the web interface, which causes a lack of access from Thunderbird. But the extension's author is very good at keeping up with them.

Since you can't access the POP & SMPT directly in free Yahoo, the extensions allow Thunderbird to use a local host while the extension goes to the account. Pretty neat trick. At any rate, a few days ago the setup stopped working for me. Not surprising as Yahoo has just done a major overhaul of their webmail interface. I went to the extension developer's forum and there was the solution from an Avast user. Disable the internet mail scanner in Avast. I tried it an it worked like a charm.

As I don't use my Yahoo account that much, I can turn off the scanner and manually download my mail, then turn the scanner back on. No biggie. I was just wondering if anybody could offer any insight as to what Avast could be doing to cause the "negative vibes" from Yahoo.

Keep up the great work! And thanks to all of the volunteer experts in this forum who have already provided a good education to this user!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Yahoo, Thunderbird & Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »

Chief Engineer

Re: Yahoo, Thunderbird & Avast
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:49:57 PM »
    Thanks for the quick response, but it does not apply. With the Thunderbird extension with the free Yahoo webmail account, there is no encryption. It is nice to know that Avast will be able to scan my gmail when ver. 5 is released!
    Now here is the oddity. After I downloaded my yahoo email with the internet mail scanner turned off, Thunderbird started retrieving yahoo email with the scanner on? I know the scanner wasn't stuck as it was doing the job on my other accounts. I am starting to think it is mostly quirks with the new redesigned Yahoo webmail interface.