Other > General Topics

User's FAQ

(1/34) > >>

Lisandro:
I'm starting a new thread promissing a full list of frequently answered questions.
I do not want to discuss them here, so it will be a closed forum.

If you can (or want) to add something, I'll be glad to add to this list.
I'll try to make an index of them bellow...

First of all, see the official avast! 4 FAQs page or browse the forums for help. You don't have to register for browsing and searching. Registration is required only if would like to post a new topic.

The search function of the forum is really a good way to find help. Try!  ;)

Try to read the avast! Help files too, this save a lot of your time and work to help when is really needed. You can left click the 'a' blue icon on the system tray, run avast antivirus. When you see the avast skin, right click it and choose 'Help'.

Some special functions could be found and reached by RejZor's application called avast External Control.zip. Enjoy it!  :)

Lisandro:
Please, each time give us the necessary information about your system in order to receive a better help from these forums users…

You can always change your signature and add all these informations there. Click on the 'Profile' button above and add this information on all your forum posts. For instance:

1. What version of avast! do you have? Please, click on the 'a' icon (blue ball) in the system tray... Go to About dialog and see your version/build and update information. This way we can figure out if their is an issue with your specific version of avast!
2. Which is your operational system and browser application?
3. Do you use a proxy filter, a firewall, an ad-blocking or spy-blocking applications?

Lisandro:
Links

Special avast links

avast Virus Cleaner: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_171.html
avast Updates:
avast! Skins:
avast! skin maker:
avast! uninstall utility: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html. If you can't uninstall avast through Control Panel, you can download the uninstall utility called AvClear or AvClear4 (depending on your avast! version). More information here.

avast! Pricelists
avast! Home Registration
avast! e-mail technical support: support@asw.cz
avast! e-mail for sendind viruses files to analysis: virus@avast.com
avast! Forum
Subscription Services
Compare Profesional and Home Edition: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1018.html

FAQs avast!
Virus Reference and Viruses in the Wild
Virus Report Form
System Requirements

Other applications

Links for almost everything could be found here.

Lisandro:
Update troubleshooting

Please, give us the following information:

1. Has your avast version ever updated before?
2. How do you connect the Internet (dial-up, ADLS, etc.)?
3. Have you already registered? You will recieve your new activation key via e-mail for free if you are using the Home version.
4. Have you received warnings by your firewall after avast! installation?

Note that avast! tries to connect the update servers (looks for virus definition file updates and for program updates). You should allow avast! to connect, otherwise the update feature will not work. See here the updated list of servers that avast! connects to.

And the avast components that should be allowed to connect the Internet by the firewall are:
avast.setup
avastXX.setup (where "XX" are some numbers)
aswUpdSv.exe

If you just use Windows XP firewall, try to disable it (Open the Control Panel > Network Connections, right click with your mouse on your connection. Go to Properties. Open the Advanced tab and uncheck the Firewall option. If you use a permanent connection (DSL) you must restart your computer).

How does the update service work?

At first, avast! tries to detect if the computer is connected to the Internet - it sends a packet to one of our servers and waits for reply. If the packet is received, avast! knows that the computer is connected and the update may begin. If there's no reply to the packet sent, avast! will try to ping the server again every 40 seconds.

If the ping is successful, avast! connects to our server and checks if there´s new update available. If it is, avast! will download and install it. If not, avast! will wait for 4 hours and then tries to connect and check for updates again.

In other words: avast! detects the connection to Internet every 40 seconds and looks for new updates every 4 hours.

Please, answer specifically:

1. Do you have any other antivirus application installed right now in your system?

2. Any error window or pop up appeared when setup failed?

3. See your settings for Update (Connections) by right clicking with mouse at the 'a' icon in the system tray (blue ball icon), then open the avast! Menu by clicking anywhere in an open area of the application GUI (Simple User Interface with a 'skin' appearance) or click on the ^ button in the upper left corner of the application. Choose now Settings > Update (Connections). You can choose between: "I only connect to the Internet using a dial-up modem" or "My computer is permanently connected to the internet"
Manual update: right click on the 'a' icon (blue ball) in the system tray and select 'Updating' then 'iavs Update' (for virus definitions update) or, better, 'Program Update' (which includes the previous virus database update).

If, for any reason, you can’t update, maybe you can follow two possible solutions:

1) Copy the file called setiface.ovr or setiXXXXXXXX.vpu (where the X's are some numbers) to setiface.dll, all in the <avast>\setup directory. Then retry running the update.

2) Download the latest avast installation package (if you are using the English version of avast) and run it on the machine. That will repair the installation and also update it to the latest version for you.

Lisandro:
Mail Protection Wizard

Remember that avast handles more than one SMTP server, to configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.

2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard

3. Click Next on the first screen

4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'

5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
a) with MS Outlook/Exchange, the Wizard finishes here.
b) with another e-mail client:
After the service was disabled, choose Next
Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
Finish your configuration and the service will start again.
You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts').

Nowadays, the following Internet Mail Clients are supported: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

If this not help, you, try the help file Manual setting of mail protection.
Launch your mail program and let the program display the account settings.

1. If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your outbound mail.

2. If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your inbound mail.

3. Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this: yourname#pop3.server.com

4. If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP

5. If the SMTP authentication is enabled, append the character # and the address of your SMTP server to the login name (e.g. yourname#smtp.server.com).

6. If the SMTP authentication is disabled, enable it and use the character # together with the address of your SMTP server as the login name (e.g. #smtp.server.com).

7. Save your changes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version