Author Topic: User's FAQ  (Read 264631 times)

Beksta86

User's FAQ
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
 ???Hi i've just registered with Avast forums and i'm not sure where to post this!  so here goes... i've recently bought a new laptop with windows vista on it and have installed Avast - however it keeps coming up that windows firewall is switched off.  i switch it on - then the next time i switch my laptop on its always switched off!  i've read somewhere that avast isn't a firewall program so would anybody know what is conflicting with windows firewall to make it keep switching off? i've scanned all my drives using avast for viruses and it hasn't found any.  my old laptop had XP and windows firewall was always fine with avast.  Could anyone help? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: User's FAQ
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:38 PM »
From the avast 4 Home/Pro forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0, at the top of the list of topics is a New Topic button click that and start your own new topic and someone should be able to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2008, 06:13:59 AM »
???Hi i've just registered with Avast forums and i'm not sure where to post this!  so here goes... i've recently bought a new laptop with windows vista on it and have installed Avast - however it keeps coming up that windows firewall is switched off.  i switch it on - then the next time i switch my laptop on its always switched off!  i've read somewhere that avast isn't a firewall program so would anybody know what is conflicting with windows firewall to make it keep switching off? i've scanned all my drives using avast for viruses and it hasn't found any.  my old laptop had XP and windows firewall was always fine with avast.  Could anyone help? 
This happened to me twice. It has nothing to do with AVAST but with I think a bug in Vista computers. There is a certain window in Control Panel where it works while activating Windows Firewall by any other mean won't work. Be sure to use this window panel:

Alicat

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
Hi

Taking a look around the forums before I dive into my big McAfee uninstall/conversion to being an Avast protectee/devotee, and figured that a thread with this title would be a good one to at least skim.

I found here, though, like a number of others which were started many years ago, posts have links which apparently are no longer working, as I got a "404 Not Found" message for what is provided as the official FAQ page. With very long threads such as this one, I know that often the more important or relevant posts might be the more recent ones, but I usually like to at least look at those in the beginning as well. With posts this old it's a bit difficult to know at what point the content/links are still current, and a newbie should *really* start reading and paying attention.  :-\

I'm starting a new thread promissing a full list of frequently answered questions.
I do not want to discuss them here, so it will be a closed forum.

If you can (or want) to add something, I'll be glad to add to this list.
I'll try to make an index of them bellow...

First of all, see the official avast! 4 FAQs page or browse the forums for help. You don't have to register for browsing and searching. Registration is required only if would like to post a new topic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
Taking a look around the forums before I dive into my big McAfee uninstall/conversion to being an Avast protectee/devotee, and figured that a thread with this title would be a good one to at least skim.
Better would be starting a new thread for asking your questions  ;)

The best things in life are free.

Alicat

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »

Better would be starting a new thread for asking your questions  ;)

Heh, but with a FAQ list I could learn which questions I'd be asking before I could think of 'em!

MrBill102

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:22 AM »
I need to know the proper way to scan a single download using a download helper like FlashGet.

I'm currently using   "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe".

Is this correct and what parameters are possible?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
I'm currently using   "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe".
Is this correct and what parameters are possible?
1. It's correct.
2. avast itself use no parameters at all.
    Maybe FlashGet requires any (you can check into the help files of FlashGet).

stewcat

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »
Hi-did you ever sort this one out.I've tried to reset the Windows firewall but it keeps on dropping off.
rgds

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2008, 01:44:26 AM »
Hi-did you ever sort this one out.I've tried to reset the Windows firewall but it keeps on dropping off.
rgds
You're asking for help in two simultaneous threads. Keep tracking the other. This is a sticky one, not for single help but for FAQ.

markdauvid

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »
[/b i tried to find information about setting up a scan and maybe i missed it. i could not post because the page i needed to validate my user name came up blank. a scan started and went on for hours and never got close to ending. it started to do a boot scan in the beginning but after it had scanned for over an hour and was only at 11% i cancelled it. i found it very difficult to understand so i removed and went back to what  i previously had. at least with that after it installed it gave me the option of scheduliing a scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »
[/b i tried to find information about setting up a scan and maybe i missed it. i could not post because the page i needed to validate my user name came up blank. a scan started and went on for hours and never got close to ending. it started to do a boot scan in the beginning but after it had scanned for over an hour and was only at 11% i cancelled it. i found it very difficult to understand so i removed and went back to what  i previously had. at least with that after it installed it gave me the option of scheduliing a scan.
Can you start a new thread for your specific problem?

eliasawad75

Re:User's FAQ
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2008, 02:55:50 AM »
Mail Protection Wizard

Remember that avast handles more than one SMTP server, to configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.

2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard

Can you please tell me what and where is "Windows Menu" ?

Thanks,

E.A.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
Can you please tell me what and where is "Windows Menu" ?
It would be better wrote if I've wrote "Start Button" on the left bottom of your screen.

globcos

User's FAQ
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »
thnx for giving good faqs.