Author Topic: Can not clean & repaire in chest  (Read 2005 times)

aptuan

Can not clean & repaire in chest
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:14:34 AM »
 hi there, avast! has detected some viruses in external devices like usb flash disks when connected to my pc. i have moved all infected files to the chest as they are important and i don't want to lose them. i tried to clean and repaire those files but those options for cleaning and repairing are "greyed out" and it is unable to perform the desired action. sometimes the access is denied to clean and repaire.

would you please help me? thank you. :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Can not clean & repaire in chest
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.
If the files were malicious, they actually can not be cleaned or repaired. Only certain files, that have a virus attached to them, leaving the body of the genuine file present might be repairable. Not applicable if it were a Trojan etc.

So, what were the original file names and paths, and what type of malware does Avast consider them to be? (malware identification.)

Try creating a new folder in your "c" drive, titled "suspicious". Exclude the folder from being scanned by Avast. (Program settings>exclusions)
From the chest, copy each infected file to the folder. (Don't run the file, just move it to the folder.) Go to www.virustotal.org and upload each file in turn for online scanning. It will take a minute or three. Once scanning is complete, please post the URL of each results page in your reply.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.