Author Topic: How to disable annoying avast warning?  (Read 13325 times)

quikcell24

How to disable annoying avast warning?
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »
Hi guys, I've just downloaded the program (home edition) last week and alls good except I keep getting these avast! Warning popups during playing a game with blue font warning highlighted with yellow background and it minimizes the full screen mode of my game till I've done something to the warning. After putting them to chest or deleting them, they would still keep popping up and it's gotten annoying. Is there any way I could disable the popup while running a full windowed programs such as WoW. Or anything to alleviate the problem along those lines. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed all the virus are from internet temporary folder. Will take a screen shot if needed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:14:22 AM by quikcell24 »

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: How to disable annoying avast warning?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:30:19 AM »
Hi guys, I've just downloaded the program (home edition) last week and alls good except I keep getting these avast! Warning popups during playing a game with blue font warning highlighted with yellow background and it minimizes the full screen mode of my game till I've done something to the warning. After putting them to chest or deleting them, they would still keep popping up and it's gotten annoying. Is there any way I could disable the popup while running a full windowed programs such as WoW. Or anything to alleviate the problem along those lines. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed all the virus are from internet temporary folder. Will take a screen shot if needed.

Hi quikcell24,

Can you give us the full file path. That would help identify if you have a false positive or an actual threat/trojan/virus. In the case of the former an exception can be made so you don't get any more pop-ups.
Have faith in avast. I have had for more than an year and it never failed.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

quikcell24

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1C9JYPF1

Virus description: Win:32:Trojan-gen {other}
File ID 98

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 02:39:59 AM »
Try clearing your temp file and see if that helps
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

quikcell24

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
I have done that over 3 times today after I started getting those pop ups. And still no luck.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
You better tell us the online game. Post the URL but sanitize it by replacing a "w" or "tt" with an "X" somewhere, so it isn't clickable.
Does any software install for this game? Is it Flash based?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

maxwachtel

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
WoW- World of Warcraft

I think there have been some issues with it lately. Something about python infected??

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:34:16 AM »
WoW- World of Warcraft

I think there have been some issues with it lately. Something about python infected??

Well the exception list is out of the question then. Can you elaborate on this?
If the virus is downloaded by the game then waiting for a patch is the only option isn't it?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

maxwachtel

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »
sorry I meant to say delphi not python

quikcell24

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:58 AM »
I'm 90% sure it's not the game. Because with or without the game I get pop-ups. This happened twice already, first time it happened I disabled it for 5 mins and enabled back and voila the pop-ups stopped till now. The first time I wasn't playing the game I just used that game as an example. But back to my question, is there anything from the configure option to stop the pop ups or pop up when I'm not doing anything full screen such as (again) watching dvd, playing a game and so on...

maxwachtel

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:01:44 AM »
You may be infected. Run a boot-time scan using Avast. Do you have any other anti-malware programs running on your system? If not-go get SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes AntiMalware and run a full scan with both. You should just restore your system using a known clean image. Don't have one? Well you should. I use Acronis True Image but it is not free. There are some free ones out there but I have never used them so I couldn't which ones work well.

quikcell24

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 04:10:38 AM »
I checked the chest and here's what I've found:

Scanning of selected files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to scan 1 selected file(s) in the Chest

Move files to temporary folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp87972965.tmp
FileID: 0000000069  Original file name: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\smc.exe  New folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp87972965.tmp\69.exe

Scan files in the temporary folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp87972965.tmp
C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp87972965.tmp\69.exe  Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed successfully!

Scanning of selected files
Program will try to scan 1 selected file(s) in the Chest

Move files to temporary folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp146741240.tmp
FileID: 0000000070  Original file name: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\systemdown\server.exe  New folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp146741240.tmp\70.exe

Scan files in the temporary folder: C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp146741240.tmp
C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp146741240.tmp\70.exe\[UPX]\[Embedded_Rx#CERBERUS]\[UPX]  Win32:Delf-GIY [Drp]
C:\Users\Joy\AppData\Local\Temp\_avast4_\unp146741240.tmp\70.exe  -- no virus --
Action was completed successfully!

You may be right about the game bit IF SysWOW64\smc.exe  is somehow related to WoW?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:29:12 AM »
Create a folder on your C drive titled "suspicious". From the Avast chest, move the file/s to it.
If you have any other scanners (such as MBAM (highly recommended) scan the file with them.
Upload the file to www.virustotal.org for an online scan with many up to date scanners. This will take a minute or three.
Post the URL of the results page here.
This will give some idea of the likelihood of this being a FP. (But is not definitive. Sometimes Avast detects malware ahead of the others. Sometimes not.)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »
All the files you submitted have been uploaded to virustotal before. When you click on the "permalinks" in the pages you posted, it leads to the reports for each file.
In the case of the first file, 18 out of 41 scanners flagged it as malicious,
In the case of the second, 29 out of 41 flagged it.

Those results give a pretty solid indication that it is not a false positive, and should be treated as suspicious, until proven otherwise.
I suggest you zip and password the files in the folder you copied them to, or delete them from that folder, to prevent inadvertent activation (another user, a "senior moment', etc.)

In the case of the third file, it appears to be a normal Windows system file. Did you copy a system file to virustotal?

Serious gamers tend to use top-end systems, highly spec'd, sometimes running on basic operating systems to reduce resource consumption, it can be a serious business.
This costs money, and a lot of regular gamers disable the applications that cause even the slightest slowdown, to give them the edge. Including disabling the AV, in some cases, ironically, at a time it's most needed.

A few years ago I was involved in helping someone who was a WoW player, who had had his identity stolen. Turned out there is a bit of money to be made by selling stuff online, WoW goodies included, and there was a rash of trojans affecting gamers, specifically WoW gamers at this time.

It makes sense to me that gamers would be seen as sometimes easy targets. Maybe what you are seeing is the same sort of thing happening again?
I have no idea about how a thief might infect another gamers' computer, or load their application on to the game, but it happens. It might be appropriate to let someone in authority concerning WoW know about this.
Other experienced users will probably know the answer to that.