Author Topic: forum improvement suggestion(s)  (Read 2357 times)

wpn

forum improvement suggestion(s)
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
In order to differentiate threads in the forum and make searching easier or less server intensive i would like to give the following suggestion(s):

give a status to a thread

statusses could be:
1) solved
2) pending / open
3) unsolved but closed by inactivity

the thread could be closed by age of not posting in the thread (status 3)
the thread could be pending / open (status 2 when the thread is new and still actively posted in)
the thread could be solved (status 1, when the solution given in the thread is the actual solution)

the solved status can be given to the thread by the thread starter, when closing the starter can give several keywords for the thread or the system could possibly give a couple keywords as suggestion.

for searching the improvement could be that the search standard only happens on keywords in the solved threads, if that doesnt give anything then move to the open/pending threads and eventually into the closed (but not solved) threads.

next to that the solution provider (the forum user that gave the solution) could be given forum points and when reaching a certain amount of points gets a goody from avast ?
(a coffee mug or baseball cap, or t-shirt or a bag or a viral poster or something like that)

Mr.Agent

Re: forum improvement suggestion(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »
I like the first idea for sure. Like some button in your post of your topic if your the creator with a button Resolved/Waiting/Closed. But its can be a problem for the user who dont use it.... So they will say its resolved but he will let the topic like this without press the button resolved..... That the problem i see that could make it bad and for a support forum its a great idea. (In order like this Resolved,Waiting,Closed,Quote.) Into up with Quote is what i would do.

The 2nd idea i dont like its look no great for a support of forum. But maybe a tournament like humm i dont know like "The guy who got the most post in the support forum"..... But for sure my self its wont look like a security website its would look like a fun website for the amateur of tournament.... And if we make like karma and let the user do give karma to some 1 and do this.... Its will be really abusive for it. I know i did that on 1 of my forum that is now dead lol. They alway say +1 karma "i love you my friend" lol well that what its look like. So yeah some rewards from them would be good but in my brain i dont see any way for what they could make 1 for alway be in term of security application...

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:17:54 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Karma system won't return to forums... It gave us a lot of headaches in the past...
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
+1 ;D Like i said karma can be abused really easly.

wpn

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
ok, no problem there :)

maybe there could be some sort of other rewarding system possibly, just to keep it interresting/rewarding for the people that try to help out (next to the alwil team)

but i would like to see the status in the forum

as respons to Mr. Agent.
the threads that remain open even if they are solved will either be closed by the inactivity or an admin could do that. This admin can also change the status after it got closed due to inactivity
ofcourse that would have an impact for the searches since the solution wont be found first, but that would be one of the minusses of that system, against the plusses of that system  (every system has its goods and bads)