Author Topic: ZoneAlarm Pro question  (Read 3363 times)

Avastfan1

ZoneAlarm Pro question
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Hello,

Does anybody else use ZA Pro?

The latest update (version 9.0.083.000) has stripped out the anti-spyware function.

Although this wasn't the best anti-spyware, I still would run it occasionally.

Would be interested to hear if:

- Anybody has installed the new version (any problems?)
- Thoughts on the exclusion of the anti-spyware function.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

Joe S

Re: ZoneAlarm Pro question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:28:13 AM »
I quit using ZA years ago. I got tired of dealing with the constant problems. It isn't rated that well by matousec http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
Joe

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
I agree with Joe S.

Go with Online Armor or Outpost or PC Tools free firewalls.

I would not go with Comodo though.

Avastfan1

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Can anybody answer why my browser is really slow following the update of ZA Pro?

I realise this is an Avast forum, however the answers and advice from the experts here is really good! I've also asked this question on the ZA Forum.

My internet connection is running noticeably slower. Especially videos (eg. on Youtube) are not streaming as quickly as they used to. Yet if I use another computer on the same internet connection the speed is faster. Hence not an ISP or router problem.

I've disabled MBAM's resident module, Avast's Web Shield (temporarily!!!) and used Ccleaner and Firefox's cache cleaner.

No luck. It seems to make no difference. This leads me to believe that ZoneAlarm Pro is the culprit.

Thanks in advance and apologies to those non-ZA users.

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

PS: My setup is as follows:
- ZA Pro 9.0.083.000
- Window$ XP Pro SP3
- Avast Pro 4.8.1351
- MBAM 1.40 (resident protection active)
- Firefox 3.5.2

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:33 AM »
Your deduction is correct. 
This leads me to believe that ZoneAlarm Pro is the culprit.

Any software firewall will slow down the browser as each and every request must pass through the firewall and be checked. 

I'm not sure of your system specifications as to CPU speed and type and amount of RAM so it would be handy to update your Profile signature with these specifications to help with recommendations.

Avastfan1

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

My system is an IBM T43 laptop with 1.86GHz, 1 GB Ram, and has XP Pro SP3.

A few years old, however it worked at a very reasonable speed with the setup from my previous post.

Which firewall do you use?

If I chose Online Armor, does it play nice with Avast Pro, MBAM, Firefox 3.5.2 and XP Pro SP3?

Thank you for your advice.

Avastfan1

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
I do not use a software firewall as I am very careful of what gets installed with the help of MBAM and WinPatrol. 

View the excellent video with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes – the company who created Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware as they discuss computer security for the home user:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-developer-interview <== software firewalls are discussed starting 8.0 minutes into the video.

Both videos are well worth watching and I think I'll watch them again as there is nothing on TV worth watching now.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
The most powerfull and most popular firewalls at the moment seem to be:

Outpost Free
Comodo
OA Free
PCTools Firewall