Author Topic: Matyas, PAV.sig, imscan.dll are not viruses  (Read 7477 times)

littlepr

Matyas, PAV.sig, imscan.dll are not viruses
« on: May 31, 2004, 03:57:44 AM »
Once again to all who are getting a virus as

"Win95:Matyas"
or

"PAV.sig"
or

"imscan.dll"

These are not viruses. They are unencrypted Panda Virus scan files. If you have ever installed any Panda antivirus including running an online free scan from Panda website, these files are generated and saved on your PC. Avast detects them as a virus because they are not encrypted. They are false-positive and you can ignore them. Set Avast to ignore/exclude them next time you run the complete scan. If you no longer needs the files (if you installed Avast, you should no longer need them) dlete them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Matyas, PAV.sig, imscan.dll are not viruses
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »
Panda's false positives again  >:(
Can't that guys learn how to protect their signature files?  :(
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 09:18:42 AM »

Even better, since Panda doesn't correctly encrypt their files, stay away from Panda services.    :)  

jaysmyne

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 07:27:44 AM »
What a relief to know those aren't viruses. I kinda thought something was fishy when several other independent scans never picked up on them.

Is Win32.Kuang2 a similar non-virus? It showed up on one of the Avast scans, also.

One more question please: every time Avast detected one of those non-viruses it would end up causing the computer to crash because I couldn't delete or move the file to the chest...is that normal?  

I'd like to try another scan, but am afraid to.   :-[
Thanks for any help.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 07:42:35 AM »
Is Win32.Kuang2 a similar non-virus?
What file was it found in?

One more question please: every time Avast detected one of those non-viruses it would end up causing the computer to crash because I couldn't delete or move the file to the chest...is that normal?  
No Not Normal. try scanning from safe mode to delete those files then mabye it wont freeze on you
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

The Maxx

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 08:33:53 AM »
Yeah I had the same problem last week.  Ran Avast and it found those files, was thinking it found a few viruses.  Luckly it was just a Panda screw up.   :)

jaysmyne

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 04:36:35 PM »
Win32.Kuang2 was found in the file: C:\My Documents\My Deliveries\Kdx\T2004shMulti

I believe that has something to do with the CNet secure download program I use, as "My Deliveries" appears in their menu.

I'll try running the scan in safe mode and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 04:41:40 PM »
Ok this is most probably a real parasite since path doesn't match any of the Panda's.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

jaysmyne

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 09:15:29 PM »
Okay...the scan in safe mode didn't work. It still froze, but at least this time I was able to manually shut down without it crashing and getting a glimpse of that beautiful blue screen. It froze at: C:\Windows\Help\MIT\Training\WinLib\Content\Lib

It froze there the other night as well.

So you think that Win32.Kuang2 might be a legit virus? Is Panda the only one who leaves unencrypted virus scan files in their tracks?

I scanned on-line with McAfee a short while ago and it came up with nothing. Trend Micro didn't find anything the other night either. Forget Norton...they're why I'm here in the first place. Now what?  :-\

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 09:41:08 PM »
Hm if you are not sure if they are legit viruses or false positive,then you should send those files to alwil team to check them out and fix the possible false positive. Send files to virus@asw.cz with some description on where were they located and which name was shown when they were detected...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

jaysmyne

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 05:19:45 AM »
This is good news...Avast has a lengthy list of those nasty Panda files and the Win32.Kuang2 is on it!

However, I'm still having problems scanning with Avast. Whether done in safe mode or not, it freezes. Any suggestions, please?

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 05:44:11 AM »

By the way, if you decide to send in suspected files, be sure to send them as zipped files and include a password to open them.