Author Topic: What Anti-Spam Program is Recommended?  (Read 20587 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:What Anti-Spam Program is Recommended?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 09:07:53 PM »
The thing that I hate about most Anti-Spam programs is, you have to download the email before you can filter it.

Spamihilator does this job too...
The messages are filtered before downloading them.
It works like a plugin of the email client.
You even do not have to run it like MailWasher.
Just my 0.02  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 09:11:36 PM »
They now ad blank lines spell words like t.hi.s use html text that is 0pt size so that you see t hi s, the human eye and brain can cope with this but many spam filters can't. This shows that spam blocking is working as they try ever more devious methods to get arround spam filters.

I'm not making advertisement of Spamihilator but it does this job too.
Special plugins detect w.or.ds like t.hi.s or t h e s e  s p a c e d words too or blank lines.
Very customizable and integrated with email program.
Ah, it's a freeware translated into several languages...  ;D

Sunny

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 03:20:23 AM »

Another alternative is a free program called "Poptray" located at www.poptray.org. It checks the mail at the server and allows you to delete anything you find objectionable before its downloaded into your e-mail program. I have found it to be very accurate and user friendly. I hope this adds some other choices for you. Have a good day and welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you to all who have attempted to answer my question, and have supplied several good suggestions.

To Neal JR: The above program sounds like something very good, and I'm going to try it! I have one now, "Pop-Up Stopper," which has seemingly worked well, but I believe "Poptray" may be even better! Thanks, Neal! I appreciate it! And I appreciate all of you in this forum, for helping a new member.

Sunny

neal62

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 07:15:40 AM »
Hi Sunny,

Well young lady your more than welcome. I also have Popup Stopper on another of my computers. I also have compared it to PopTray and have found that PopTray seems to have more features and is more user friendly. I have no affiliation with this or any program but have found it to be very good for my purposes. Thanks for responding and once again have a great day. And Oh, I graduated from Mingus Union in the Verde Valley LOL.  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 07:35:13 AM by neal62 »

The Maxx

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 07:21:08 AM »
Mozilla: Thunderbird seems to be a very good email program and it does good against spam.

Who knows maybe someday Microsoft will come out with an all new IE/OE.

Sunny

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 07:29:25 AM »
Hello again,

I came back here tonight and re-read all of your responses (and there were lots! Thanks so much!)

I wanted to report that I have at last downloaded MailWasher Pro 4.1 just two days ago. I tried to set up all sorts of fancy rules in Outlook Express 6...had to give it a chance, but, at the same time, I was blocking around 175 emails per day and it was just too much. It's a real time-waster. On my second day with Mailwasher, it did very well. I've got it set up to Blacklist and Bounce, for now, while it's training, but I can already see a shortcut that I'll probably put into effect tomorrow. To the above, on the MW screen, I'll add Delete. I can always recover if it "misses," but it's right there in front of me, so it'll be my mistake, too!

By the way, I had an odd thing happen both yesterday and again today while on the MW screen. Avast kicked in warning me of "a possible email virus." The message was from AVAST. ??? Someone had "tagged" it. (I'll be letting Avast know on another screen as well.) The tagger was as follows: "FamousBluePill@orexis@info4u.info" I recognize it as on my "Blocked" list on OE. Thanks Avast!

And a VERY sincere "thank you" to Max, David R., Technical and all the others who have been so helpful in replying to my query. As I re-read your discussions, it dawned on me how helpful they will be to other "newbies" in Avast, like me, in the future. You're a really helpful and great bunch of people.

sunny ;)

7r

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 10:25:51 AM »
Could anybody please tell me how to configure SpamPal to run with avast ? I'm having my mail adress set to: localhost / username:loginname@pop3servername.com in Outlook. After installing Avast I'm told: SpamPal is unable to use port 110 (error 10048) is this port in use by another program ? I guess it is by Avast. I'm running my local wireless network (one pc only) on a Belkin 54g router with build-in forewall.

I need this pc up and running online all the time, so I dont dare to eksperiment with different settings.
Thanks in advance

EVdB

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 12:09:23 PM »
Hi Sunny,
On my second day with Mailwasher, it did very well. I've got it set up to Blacklist and Bounce, for now, while it's training, but I can already see a shortcut that I'll probably put into effect tomorrow.
Mailwasher Pro is good spam blocker, but what I dislike about it is the Bounce function.
A lot of people don't know that when you use this function, you're in fact spamming a real person in most of the cases, and certainly not the spammer.
 :o Most of the spammers use real adresses (fake), but not their own.
It would be better to just delete, instead of Bounce.
Imagine a real person getting spammed by you, also a real person. Not a pretty picture, I can assure you.

Take a look here for more info about this.

Just my 0.2 euro

Eric  ;)

[edit: adding link]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 01:38:22 PM by EVdB »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 02:50:20 PM »
7r, there were an avast user called Culpeper (where is he?  :'() that uses SpamPal with avast.
Can you search the board for SpamPal and his name?
You will find the solution, that is similar to Spamihilator.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 03:28:08 PM »
Hi Sunny,
On my second day with Mailwasher, it did very well. I've got it set up to Blacklist and Bounce, for now, while it's training, but I can already see a shortcut that I'll probably put into effect tomorrow.
Mailwasher Pro is good spam blocker, but what I dislike about it is the Bounce function.
A lot of people don't know that when you use this function, you're in fact spamming a real person in most of the cases, and certainly not the spammer.
 :o Most of the spammers use real adresses (fake), but not their own.
It would be better to just delete, instead of Bounce.
Imagine a real person getting spammed by you, also a real person. Not a pretty picture, I can assure you.

Take a look here for more info about this.

Just my 0.2 euro

Eric  ;)

[edit: adding link]

EVdb, everything you said is true, so that's why, best thing to do is remove checkmark from ENABLE bouncing option in MailWasher, and problem solved... see attachment. MailWasher really is one of the top, best anti-spam products ever... bad thing is, you have to pay for Pro version...

Cheers !

EVdB

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 03:53:42 PM »
EVdb, everything you said is true, so that's why, best thing to do is remove checkmark from ENABLE bouncing option in MailWasher, and problem solved... see attachment. MailWasher really is one of the top, best anti-spam products ever... bad thing is, you have to pay for Pro version...
I know that, S.Z.Craftec, but it was meant as advice to Sunny and other persons who aren't aware of what this Bounce does in reality.  ;)
 :o The mere fact that Firetrust promotes this feature is beyond my understanding.
It should never have been incorporated in the first place. I'm also a registered user of MWP, but I don't use it anymore.
 :D In fact I don't use any seperate spam blocker, because the Bayesian filter is integrated into my email client. Pre-download filters take care to delete every banned sender/domain as well as a lot of other tools to eliminate these threats.

Have a nice weekend you all.  :)

The Maxx

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 05:33:59 PM »
Another neat little email program seems to be IncrediMail.  My girlfriend has used that for well over a year now.  I decided to goof around with it and find a neat thing or two.

You can set it up to where you approve what emails goes into your inbox, the rest goes to junk folder.  Go through junk folder to see if any of it needs added to the approved list.

Also you can bounce back any junk email.  See junk you don't want, right click on it and tell it to bounce back to sender.  Looks as if your email address is bad.... sends them a message telling them "User unknown"   ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 05:35:37 PM by The Maxx »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 05:35:34 PM »
EVdb wrote:
I know that, S.Z.Craftec, but it was meant as advice to Sunny and other persons who aren't aware of what this Bounce does in reality.
The mere fact that Firetrust promotes this feature is beyond my understanding.
It should never have been incorporated in the first place. I'm also a registered user of MWP, but I don't use it anymore.
In fact I don't use any seperate spam blocker, because the Bayesian filter is integrated into my email client. Pre-download filters take care to delete every banned sender/domain as well as a lot of other tools to eliminate these threats.

Have a nice weekend you all.

Again everything you said is true, and I am 100% aware what you meant by that... there is lot of users out there and they are convinced that bouncing is something good... well, it could be something good, but today, mail bouncing is something that work against users who wants to use it... sad but true... completly clear...

...and sorry if I sounded too harsh in my last reply... my intention wasn't to argue with you, I think absolutely same way as you regarding "bounce" feature.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 05:36:41 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

The Maxx

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 05:45:09 PM »
MailWasher does sound pretty good.  Think I might have to give that a try.  :)

EVdB

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 06:08:41 PM »
Also you can bounce back any junk email.  See junk you don't want, right click on it and tell it to bounce back to sender.  Looks as if your email address is bad.... sends them a message telling them "User unknown"   ;)
:o FYI: This bounce feature in IncrediMail does the same as the one in Mailwasher Pro. All bounce features are bad.

S.Z. Craftec wrote: ...and sorry if I sounded too harsh in my last reply... my intention wasn't to argue with you, I think absolutely same way as you regarding "bounce" feature.
Not too harsh.  ;) No pun intended.