Author Topic: Defragmentation software  (Read 25610 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Defragmentation software
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
Nice, thanx!  :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

majoMo

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »
What do you think about Ultimate Defrag?
Ultimate Defrag is a good defrag. It isn't free though.

They have an old free version that is handy and good: UltimateDefrag Freeware Edition 1.72.

Since I use JkDefrag / MyDefrag I don't use it anymore.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
Is anyone here using RunPD.exe script for manual startup of PerfectDisk? I'm thinking about using it and would like to know if PD works as it should that way too. Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »
Interesting. I didn't know about this script which is not suprising since i don't need it. No in your case i don't see any disadvantages in using it infact it is exactly what you wanted in the first place imo. No reason why PD wouldn't work like it should. Disable PD's startup entries and set the services to manual and use this script to start PD.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:23:46 PM by darth_mikey »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
I think that RunPD.exe takes care of everything, so I don't have to manualy change anything. At least I think so...

Here's why I asked if it will work properly with that method:
"The PerfectDisk Services - PDAgent and PDEngine need to be configured to the default startup mode (PDAgent - Automatic, PDEngine, Manual) in order for all features of PerfectDisk 10 to run correctly. Disabling these services will result in PerfectDisk 10 not running. Changing the startup mode from Automatic to Manual may result in certain PerfectDisk 10 features not working correctly."

Anyway, some minutes age I analyzed my C partition and then defragmented it with SMARTPlacement method for the first time. Now I'm doing the same with my D partition (this will take more time it seems). I don't know yet how to properly defrag system files and how the Space management function works. Any suggestions, maybe what I should be careful about too? Thanx a lot! :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:53:09 PM by Bellzemos »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »
The features that won't be working are the scheduling part and StealthPatrol which are the ones that you won't be using anyway right ? So no big deal.

Yes the SMARTPlacement will take a long time to finish the first time you run it, it will get faster with time don't worry. For the boot defrag you need to tick the little box from my screenshot and restart the pc. It will do the defraging just before the pc enters windows. The boot time defrag takes care of those files that have been locked by the OS and cannot be defraged while in windows(like pagefile, hibernation file, ntfs metadata etc.). So yes i would advise you to do this aswell, it shouldn't take that long though.

-- click on the pic to make it bigger --

Space management has more than one feature and i would advise you to read the documentation for more info on how to use it. Infact PD's documentation is very well written and quite an informative read. Their blog is also a great source of info. If you have any more questions about the product please read the documentation first before asking here, everything is very well explained and with the risk of sounding rude, everything you are asking here you could learn from PD's documentation. If you can't find the info that you want then you can also ask their customer service since you are now their customer aren't you ? So use the support that you payed for. Good luck with using PD, i have a feeling you are going to like the product.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:25:12 PM by darth_mikey »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »
I'm not a customer, I'm using the trial version for now... And yes, the manuals are well written, but I was looking for a short explanation, that's why I asked here. Well, thank you for all the help! :)

normishmael

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
Note to anyone using Returnil:

Please do not defrag disk while in Returnil Virtualization!
This can screw up the virtual partition.

It is fine to Defrag with Returnil present,just not in
protected mode.

thanks.