Author Topic: Defragmentation software  (Read 25531 times)

YoKenny

Re: Defragmentation software
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »
Perhaps we should also give a little bit more info about windows 7 defrag which has been improved over the one in Vista. It's actually pretty darn good if you ask me ! If you want to learn more, i found a nice blog on msdn that explains more about it. Quite an informative read. :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

Its a good read with a final observation
Best practices for using defragmentation in Windows 7 are simple – you do not need to do anything! Defragmentation is scheduled to automatically run periodically and in the background with minimal impact to foreground activity. This ensures that data on your hard disk drives is efficiently placed so the system can provide optimal responsiveness and I can continue to enjoy glitch free listening to the Eagles :-).

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »
Hm, another thing about PerfectDisk: I would like to use it as I did the built-in Defrag in Windows XP, meaning I don't want to use background defrag, scheduler, screen-saver etc. I just want to manually defrag - start the program and run it for the time needed to get the job done. Once a month or so. Is that OK or it maybe isn't good for my hard-disk to do so? Thank you again. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 10:51:02 PM »
Yeah it's ok.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
I found something weird:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188680&hl=perfectdisk

What do you think, is PerfectDisk safe for a newbie user like me? I really don't want to damage my hard-disk and lose data.

And another thing I read: "While defragmenting you should not use the pc, you should disable screensavers, disconnect from net and siable firewall/antivirus."

Is that true?

Thank you for help!  :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »
I'm sorry to say this to you but you are massively overdoing it with the paranoia buddy. I have no idea what that user was doing with his partitions but clearly he was experimenting a bit too much with something he doesn't understand hence his strange problems(his partition is way too small btw which would explain alot). His biggest problem is himself and his lack of knowledge.

PD is very stable(especially on XP) and shouldn't cause any problems so yes i would call it safe. And no you don't need to disable any of that stuff or disconnect from the internet, if some files are in use they'll just be locked by the os and therefore ignored by the defrag(it won't move them).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:19:17 PM by darth_mikey »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:58 AM »
"While defragmenting you should not use the pc, you should disable screensavers, disconnect from net and siable firewall/antivirus."

Is that true?
Paranoid...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »
Yeah, I admit that I'm a little paranoid, but I don't want to lose any data. So the stuff about no work, no screensaver, being offline etc. while defraging is not true? OK. :)

So, I guess I should use PerfectDisk with the default options then? If I mess up with more advanced stuff I can damage my HD?

Sorry, but I'm curious. Thank you! :)

shgoh

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »
Rejzor's power dragmentor with contig does a great job!

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
Yeah, I admit that I'm a little paranoid, but I don't want to lose any data. So the stuff about no work, no screensaver, being offline etc. while defraging is not true? OK. :)

So, I guess I should use PerfectDisk with the default options then? If I mess up with more advanced stuff I can damage my HD?

Sorry, but I'm curious. Thank you! :)

Yes the defaults are fine. Don't play with your partitions and you'll be fine. PD doesn't change your partitions cause it's not a partition manager, it's a defrag program, that guy used something else to do that and mess up his partitions. PD was not his problem there it was something else.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
Allright, thank you for so much help, I really appreciate it. Thanx! :)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »
Hi :)

What do you think about Ultimate Defrag?

Thx and have a nice day. ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
And another thing I read: "While defragmenting you should not use the pc, you should disable screensavers, disconnect from net and siable firewall/antivirus."

Is that true?

This used to be true back in the Win98 days and FAT32 partitions. But ever since Win2000, you can defragment anytime you want, even while using computer.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
I see, thank you. Windows XP built-in Defrag needs quite a lot of free space on HD to perform a defragmentation, how's PerfectDisk about this, how much free space (in %) does it need?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »
I see, thank you. Windows XP built-in Defrag needs quite a lot of free space on HD to perform a defragmentation, how's PerfectDisk about this, how much free space (in %) does it need?

If you'd head on down to their web site you would find this.
Exclusive Single-pass Defrag

Unlike typical defraggers, PerfectDisk 10 Home Edition completely defrags your drives (all files and metadata) and consolidates free space in just one pass – no matter how large or fragmented the system. With revolutionary minimal-free-space requirement, you can defrag an entire drive with less than 1% free space.

http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/home-perfectdisk10-home-edition/key-features