Author Topic: Locking Down Avast 4 Pro Anti-Virus  (Read 5720 times)

nrthwest1

Locking Down Avast 4 Pro Anti-Virus
« on: May 31, 2004, 05:13:28 AM »
I'm doing some preliminary testing( On Workstations) on AVAST 4 Pro Anti-Virus(Demo version 4.1 Pro still) and I would like to be able to TOTALLY lock down the right click on the AVAST icon in the tray. I know most everything requires a password if set, but users can still "start avast! antivirus" which gives them the capability to change the update option on the client. It also gives users access to start scans. These are public computers and ALL settings need to be locked down. Users can still scan files by right clicking and select scan so I would love to be able to lock this down. I'm still testing so I haven't verified all settings yet, but this seems to be the case.

Thanks...

I'm an IT Pro and my initial eval of AVAST 4 Pro is GREAT! No Problems with Download, Install or setup... Seems to be a great program do far!

nrthwest1

Re:Locking Down Avast 4 Pro Anti-Virus
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:40:43 AM »
Well I did find one option...
Disable tray icon in the avast.ini file, but I would like to keep it there and visually see that AVAST is running. So still looking for options.

Thanks...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 08:17:33 AM »
nrthwest1, I've sent you an IM.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drahnier

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 05:57:04 AM »
I'm doing some preliminary testing( On Workstations) on AVAST 4 Pro Anti-Virus(Demo version 4.1 Pro still) and I would like to be able to TOTALLY lock down the right click on the AVAST icon in the tray. I know most everything requires a password if set, but users can still "start avast! antivirus" which gives them the capability to change the update option on the client. It also gives users access to start scans. These are public computers and ALL settings need to be locked down. Users can still scan files by right clicking and select scan so I would love to be able to lock this down. I'm still testing so I haven't verified all settings yet, but this seems to be the case.

Thanks...

I'm an IT Pro and my initial eval of AVAST 4 Pro is GREAT! No Problems with Download, Install or setup... Seems to be a great program do far!

I, too, am an IT Pro and was evaluating avast to replace another vendor's anti virus solution. However, I have not found a way to make it 100% save for "dumb" users.

I would really like to have some comments on this from avast! staff members.

CoJo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 03:14:43 PM »
"Dumb" users??
Do you mean newbies, novices, beginners, learners...people trying their best to upgrade skills?
that doesn't make them dumb...jmo

cojo

drahnier

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:19:15 PM »
"Dumb" users??
Do you mean newbies, novices, beginners, learners...people trying their best to upgrade skills?
that doesn't make them dumb...jmo

cojo

Well, pardon my wording. English is not my native language.

CoJo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 11:27:02 PM »
drahnier, please pardon my over-reaction...

I am not speaking of you right now, but so many people are unkind to those who are not computer savvy.
Questions that may sound stupid and annoy a more knowledgeable person should be a source of learning and an answer to a problem...yet many times the answers are rude or humilating.

Again, I over-reacted and offer my apology.
cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 10:42:59 PM »
I would really like to have some comments on this from avast! staff members.

Well, Vlk is, in fact, one of the staff members  8)
The best things in life are free.