Author Topic: Avast Warning log  (Read 10488 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Warning log
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
The windows event viewer logs would show the same things as the source of the data is the same.

I don't believe the frequency is bad, it happens. The important thing is that it tries again and if it fails completely then you get the Red pop-up window notifying you of an update failure. So unless you get that there is nothing to worry about, even then unless that Red pop-up is a regular occurrence, e.g. every update again I wouldn't be too concerned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

paramedic35

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
Sorry, my firewall is Microsoft security center firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
The Windows Security center isn't a firewall either but a 'reporting' center which monitors if your firewall, antivirus and windows updates are enabled and running, etc.

So I presume you are using the default windows firewall.
Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used, so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 01:09:24 AM »
...e.g. every update again I wouldn't be too concerned.

I was pretty much assuming that it was every update - occuring over a three day period.

And I thought Windows Event Viewer would state error / warnings differently. Tho havent checked this out, I dont consult avast log often as a rule. Perhaps you're right DavidR, I will try check this out in future.

Also, windward has yet to reply so no sure if there was a real problem.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 02:18:28 AM »
...e.g. every update again I wouldn't be too concerned.

I was pretty much assuming that it was every update - occuring over a three day period.

And I thought Windows Event Viewer would state error / warnings differently. Tho havent checked this out, I dont consult avast log often as a rule. Perhaps you're right DavidR, I will try check this out in future.

Also, windward has yet to reply so no sure if there was a real problem.

No or there would also be Red Update failure pop-ups.

If they are looking in the antivirus section of the windows event viewer, it is basically areplication of the avast log viewer.

Yes without feedback all this is speculation (but informed speculation).

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 06:10:41 AM »
Thanking you DavidR
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »
You're welcome.