Author Topic: McAfee SiteAdvisor site  (Read 18822 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: McAfee SiteAdvisor site
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:08 AM »
Thank you for help anyway! Well, I guess that my problem will remain a mystery. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 02:40:29 AM »
Thank you for help anyway! Well, I guess that my problem will remain a mystery. :)
Have you tried switching to opendns?
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
No, I haven't. I would like to have things as they were before, througn my ISP's DNS. I don't think switching to OpenDNS make me see why this one site is blocked for me. And I know very little about OpenDNS, have no experience at all here. I appreciate your help. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
If there happens to be any DNS hijacking going on, then it is less likely to happen on the OpenDNS servers. If you don't try it you won't know where the fault lies.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »
Hm, OK, but then please help me go through all that. What exactly happens when you change DNS? Will I still be able to access internet as before, still have same speed etc.? Can I then change back to my original DNS? And if it's really DNS hijacking that's going on here, what does that mean? Am I being hijacked by someone? Please help, I'm lost here. :)

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
What exactly happens when you change DNS?
Your system uses the OpenDNS secure DNS servers
Will I still be able to access internet as before, still have same speed etc.?
Yes and it might be faster.
Can I then change back to my original DNS?
Yes
Go here first:
https://www.opendns.com/start <== click on the computer then operating system then follow the directions:
These are for XP
1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. Click Network Connections from the Control Panel choices.

3. Choose your connection from the Network Connections window.
In this screenshot, Local Area Connection is the only choice. If you have more than one, choose your default/current connection.

4. Click Properties button.

5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

6. Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses and type in OpenDNS addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields.
Please write down your current DNS settings before switching to OpenDNS, in case you want to return to your old settings for any reason.

Preferred DNS server address for Open DNS is:

Alternate DNS server address for Open DNS is:

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Thank you so much for the detailed guide, but will this help me understand why I can't access this one site (siteadvisor.com)? And another question about OpenDNS - is it important where I live, the location of my PC? Or it's one address for all the world?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
I'll look into that, thank you! :)

Spiritsongs

OpenDNS
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 08:02:05 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Might want to consider reading the excellent "Windows Secrets" article titled
"Use OpenDNS to surf safely with these tricks" by Becky Waring available at
 http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/090709 !?

There is a followup article "Readers suggest ways to improve OpenDNS" by
 Dennis O'Reilly at http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/090716 .

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
Thank you for the info. :)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »
I'm quoting my first post in this thread:

Last few days I can't get to www.siteadvisor.com

Anyone else too?

Well, today I tried to go to this site once again, after some days - and I was able to visit it! :)

I don't know what has changed or how, I didn't do anything special with my system. I also noticed that some survey on some site that I regularely visit was on again for me - I can answer it every time I go to that site now again. Before that (when I couldn't access www.siteadvisor.com) it was only showing me the results of that survey.

Well, strange all the way, but I'm happy that it works again now. If you have any ideas what has happend, please tell. :)