Author Topic: Keyboard doesn't work during boot time scan  (Read 3884 times)

BuddyGoodness

Keyboard doesn't work during boot time scan
« on: April 05, 2005, 02:19:21 AM »
Today I did my routine every three day boot time scan.  This time though my keyboard wouldn't work on it.  It has allways worked before and nothing has changed, could it be a virus causing this??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Keyboard doesn't work during boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 03:20:54 AM »
Are you sure you're not using an USB keyboard but a PS2 one?
I don't think it's a virus but a driver problem with your keyboard...
Can you boot at Restore Console (with XP) or DOS (with 98\Me)? Does the keyboard work there?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 03:19:50 PM »
If you are using a USB keyboard,  you need to change your settings in the BIOS to recognise and use USB during boot. Sorry I can't remember which part of the BIOS it is in, that may be different for different BOIS chip sets.

However, as you say 'this time it didn't work' so the bios must have been set for it to have worked at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

deadtom

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »
I'm having the same issue now accept that it's doing it with my ps2 keyboard as well. I can't finish the scan because it's waiting for input from me.

deadtom

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 05:06:52 AM »
Wasn't able to actually fix it. Got around it by setting it to automatically move infected files to the chest.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 06:07:41 AM »
Next time you run boot-time scan --

Can you read POST when you boot-time scan, and if so, does the PS/2 keyboard register - usually last entry before computer boots into Setup or Operating system.

Another thing you might try when using PS/2 keyboard is go into Setup and load Setup defaults prior to setting or running the boot-time scan. (Will be Setup defaults or similar, computers may differ with their wording).
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.