Author Topic: Trojan - False Positive  (Read 2427 times)

anycegal

Trojan - False Positive
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
I have a program that I wish to run that Avast sees as a Trojan Horse.  How do I exclude this program so Avast does not see it and I can run it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Debbie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Trojan - False Positive
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Can you inform the file as being a false positive? (click on the bottom right of the virus warning message).

To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. You can use VirScan also.
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
Give Tech and the rest of the people at Avast a big pat on the back.  I've submitted a few files for exe programs and the problem was fixed in a day or two in the updated definitions. They reall do check out submissions unlike many of their competitors!
Joe

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »

Welcome to the forums, anycegal.   :)

Sometimes, programs are not what they seem to be.

Please follow Tech's advice and it would be nice to know the program name.