Author Topic: Avast changes OE and Incredimail Settings over and over  (Read 4315 times)

7heather

Avast changes OE and Incredimail Settings over and over
« on: June 01, 2004, 02:07:01 AM »
Someone else wrote about this earlier but no one gave him an answer since he couldn't say if his email still worked or not.

My email is not working because of this glitch. Avast is changing my email settings. I'm using Outlook Express and Incredimail (two computers) both running on Win 2000 Pro. The incoming and outgoing server is changed to 127.0.0.1. The account name is being changed as well. If the username is, for example, "user@avast.com" (which it is not obviously), then avast changes it to "user@avast.com#mail.avast.com". I own several different domains on seperate identities, and it does this to all of them. This is also happening on two seperate computers - mine and my husbands. The other thing that is happening is in the area "My server requires authentication", it changes the settings there from "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" to "Log on using..." and changes it to the same wrong account name as above.

After I go through and change all 7 email accounts on two computers to correct the email settings, avast doesn't work anymore... it stops checking the email for viruses completely.

I'm very surprised that no one else has mentioned this since it's happening to me on two computers. I really like Avast and wish I could keep using it but obviously will not be able to if there is no fix for this. The only way to fix the problem is to uninstall and reinstall avast. Repairing does not work. After fixing it, it does the same thing again a few days later and I have to repeat the whole cycle again.

One other thing, when installing Avast, it asks for incoming and outgoing mail servers. I have been using my ISP's mail server to fill in those boxes but that is not the mail server I actually use to check email with. That part of the installation makes me hesitant to recommend Avast to people because most folks have no idea what their mail servers are and they would get confused at that point and stop installation. There is no way to skip that part.

Please help with the main problem of Avast changing my email settings. It seems to happen, as the other member mentioned, when I run a virus scan. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that is what changes it.

Thanks,
Heather

7heather

Re:Avast changes OE and Incredimail Settings over and over
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 05:51:46 AM »
I found the answer in the FAQ section on the Avast web site. It seems to be working so far. Sorry I didn't check there first. Maybe this will help others having the same problem.

Heather

techie101

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 06:12:03 AM »
7heather,

Too bad that you did not read the FAQs first.
For those that read this thread, AVAST is supposed to set the server address for the email client to 127.0.0.1 so that mail is directed to the internal computer.  This is the only way that Avast can scan the email.

Also, it "configures" the username by appending the #and the isp mail address.  Whether your actual username preceedes the # depends on whether you had server authentication on or off when you installed Avast.

Good luck and any more questions, come here to see us.

Techie

snooker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 12:24:28 AM »
Hi ... I am having this problem now below

Also, it "configures" the username by appending the #and the isp mail address.  Whether your actual username preceedes the # depends on whether you had server authentication on or off when you installed Avast.

How can i fix this