Author Topic: Sandbox programs  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Sandbox programs
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
What do you think about sandbox programs like Sandboxie? Is anybody using one?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

micky77

Re: Sandbox programs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »

Yes indeedy, I think SB is one of the greatest apps around. Obviously its main objective is for safe surfing.However, lots of programs can be first run sandboxed, before deciding whether they are safe to install.
Firstly, I would recommend the paid version.This allows you to have multiple boxes, each with there own settings.
I personally, force certain apps to open sandboxed, eg firefox,thunderbird,and then,those programs, are the only ones allowed internet access.This means that should I download a spyware trojan, it cannot access the net from the box.Even if it named itself firefox.exe, because firefox is already running, a second instance, from a different location would be denied.
You can have one box for instance that is allowed no web access, for running new exe files
My main default box,is set to auto delete on closure of the box.
You can download files, into the box, then scan the box with security apps,( including on line scanners ) them run said exe, sandboxed,while you AV monitors all ativity. There are other settings, like blocking access to certain sensitive folders, etc. I found a new one recently, that alerts you to any program that is denied web access, but is trying to obtain it.
Nothing is bullet proof, but this is one fantastic program.
I would say now, that without this program, I would feel seriously naked. I cannot imagine being without it. Also there is a beta verion for windows 7
If you have any specific questions, try there forum. But mainly try the free version and see how you go. Some people here say they don't like it , I think they just don't understand it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
For sure it's safer. Just that Vista user level has a very good protection, regardless the bad press of Microsoft security.
The best things in life are free.

timcan

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »

Yes indeedy, I think SB is one of the greatest apps around. Obviously its main objective is for safe surfing.However, lots of programs can be first run sandboxed, before deciding whether they are safe to install.
Firstly, I would recommend the paid version.This allows you to have multiple boxes, each with there own settings.
I personally, force certain apps to open sandboxed, eg firefox,thunderbird,and then,those programs, are the only ones allowed internet access.This means that should I download a spyware trojan, it cannot access the net from the box.Even if it named itself firefox.exe, because firefox is already running, a second instance, from a different location would be denied.
You can have one box for instance that is allowed no web access, for running new exe files
My main default box,is set to auto delete on closure of the box.
You can download files, into the box, then scan the box with security apps,( including on line scanners ) them run said exe, sandboxed,while you AV monitors all ativity. There are other settings, like blocking access to certain sensitive folders, etc. I found a new one recently, that alerts you to any program that is denied web access, but is trying to obtain it.
Nothing is bullet proof, but this is one fantastic program.
I would say now, that without this program, I would feel seriously naked. I cannot imagine being without it. Also there is a beta verion for windows 7
If you have any specific questions, try there forum. But mainly try the free version and see how you go. Some people here say they don't like it , I think they just don't understand it

Well said! I use sandboxie on several computers.
I'll add that another advantage of buying the program is an unlimited personal uselicense. :)
Q. Do I need to license (pay for) Sandboxie multiple times, to use it on more than one computer at home?
A. No. You can use a single license of Sandboxie with any number of computers that you, as an individual, personally own.

My only complaint is the browser takes several seconds longer to start sandboxed than a normal start(at least with my computers) No big deal though. ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:00:23 PM by RNfromTN »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
Hm, if this program is as good as I think now, then it's awesome, but maybe I didn't really understand it right. Let me put it in an example.

Let's say that I buy and install Sandboxie. If I use it instead of Firefox, does that mean that I can go to ANY website whatsoever without being worried, because EVERY file that will be downloaded (intentionally or unintentionally) will be "quarantined" in Sandboxie and won't be able to harm my system AT ALL? That sounds too good to be true. That would practically mean that I can't get infected if I use it. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
That would practically mean that I can't get infected if I use it.

that would be the program the entier world is waiting for, 100% detection  ;D......and the bad guys would hate  >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
You don't use it 'instead' of firefox, just that firefox runs inside a sandbox.

You can be infected even when in a sandbox, it depends on the settings that you have for whatever one you use and the big issue is what you allow to be saved outside of the sandbox. In theory if it is allowed out of the sandbox without having been fully checked (your AV, etc.), then it is entirely possible to get infected.

This isn't the holy grail, just another level of security to help prevent infection and if so limit the potential for damage.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
OK, but let's say that I set the settings that way that infected files downloaded to Sandboxie can't infect my system. And if I see any suspicious files at the end of the day I upload them to VirusTotal and if they are OK I let them out of the Sandboxie, if not OK, I delete them. That would be a very time-eating process, but might be worth it - if it really works that way. And what about system resources, is Sandboxie heavy on resources? And how does it really work anyway? Nevermind, I'll go check it's website. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
Wrong, the word can't is dependant on what I said earlier as many sand boxes allow for things like browser cache and favourites, etc. etc. to be saved to the live system not the sandbox. If you allow that then your are opening the door.

Personally I have never found the need for a sandbox because I have a robust back-up and recovery strategy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

timcan

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »
I haven't used other sandboxes, but I believe sandboxie contains everything and gives you the option to recover and save certain files.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
What about Defense Wall? And other HIPS & sandbox programs? Anyone using any of those? I saw some reviews on youtube and it seems really great. :)

Pedro Hin

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:31:45 AM »
Another thing to be mindful of when using Sandboxie -- While sandboxed applications cannot write to the filesystem, the sandboxed applications can READ from the filesystem. Don't think you can play close to fire with this, you could still obtain a malware that might grab stored data and send it out your internet connection.

Roflmeister

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
Another thing to be mindful of when using Sandboxie -- While sandboxed applications cannot write to the filesystem, the sandboxed applications can READ from the filesystem. Don't think you can play close to fire with this, you could still obtain a malware that might grab stored data and send it out your internet connection.

Wow i never thought of it that way before, you've got a point  :o the way i see it with malware evolving so rapidly soon sandboxie will become useless, malware writers are always finding vulnerabilities in programs to exploit, its only a matter of time before they find a way to bypass and exploit apps like sandboxie.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18:59 AM »
I never found Sanboxie useful and slowed down my XP Pro system too much.

I prefer a Layered Protection approach with avast! anti virus, MBAM and Microsoft Security Essentials anti malware and WinPatrol Security Monitor.

The addition of a good HOSTS file helps as well.

normishmael

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »
I never found Sanboxie useful and slowed down my XP Pro system too much.

I prefer a Layered Protection approach with avast! anti virus, MBAM and Microsoft Security Essentials anti malware and WinPatrol Security Monitor.

The addition of a good HOSTS file helps as well.

Ok,you have all of that running in real time,and you do not find a slowdown?
But you do with Sandboxie?
Warm,greenish, excreta from a male bovine!!
Unless you are counting the 5 second delay on the free version.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:04:44 AM by normishmael »