Author Topic: Downloading of Infected Files  (Read 8179 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Downloading of Infected Files
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »
But by not having a Continue button it's like locking somebody up so they won't get exposed to the dangers of the world outside.

It's like not giving the user a choice. How about Abort (Recommended) and Continue (At your own risk!) buttons? With the Abort as the default selection so hitting Enter will select Abort?

I too am totally against any Continue button, as for your average or inexperienced user the possibility of accidental or unknowingly clicking continue could expose them to a serious infection.

For an experienced use, there is nothing to stop then pausing the web shield (not all providers) to let it be downloaded, that isn't too onerous. As you said in your later post Alwil have to look after the less experienced user to effectively protect them from themselves.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gameboyz

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
Why do you need to pause the providers?
So I can download a file which I know is clean but Avast thinks is infected.

gameboyz

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »
Alright, I guess I'll continue pausing the providers to bypass this.
Bypass what?
Bypass the pop-up with only the "Abort connection" option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »

You should also submit it to avast if you believe it to be clean (and have confirmed that, using virustotal, etc.)

There is a link on the alert window to Report as a false positive, see image.

Or send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and false positive/undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already in the chest) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

That way it helps all avast users and resolves any FP.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:51:50 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smage

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
Hi,

Do not add a continue button, average users will simply ignore the alert of the web shield and get infected.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »
gameboyz, I understand now.
You can disable WebShield only and, to be sure, scan the downloaded file (if possible, due to size limitation) in VirusTotal.
The best things in life are free.

gameboyz

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 02:30:37 AM »
You can disable WebShield only and, to be sure, scan the downloaded file (if possible, due to size limitation) in VirusTotal.
Should I use VirusTotal or Jotti?

gameboyz

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 02:34:44 AM »

You should also submit it to avast if you believe it to be clean (and have confirmed that, using virustotal, etc.)

There is a link on the alert window to Report as a false positive, see image.

Or send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and false positive/undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already in the chest) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

That way it helps all avast users and resolves any FP.
Are you saying that to add a file to the User Files it has to be already in the chest. But if it's already moved to the chest there won't be a copy of the file remaining in the original location, right? Not too sure, haha.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:31 AM »
You missed the important bit in brackets, "if it isn't already in the chest" in which case there is no need to add it the User Files and there won't be another copy in the original location. If it isn't in the chest (Infected Files) when you manually add the file to the User Files section it is just copying the file to the chest, so the original remains where it was.

Quote from: DavidR
add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already in the chest)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
Should I use VirusTotal or Jotti?

Just uploaded a small file to both.  VirusTotal used 41 programs, while Jotti used 21.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner