Author Topic: Web Shield blocking browsing. (another case)  (Read 3605 times)

KimB

Web Shield blocking browsing. (another case)
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
I also have the same problem as reported in other threads here. Somthing stops access to web pages but leaves email and non www pings unaffected.  I've only just tracked the probelem down to the Web Shield. Terminating the Web shield allows pages to load again, but if I try to restart it, I get a message " The provider is waiting for a subsystem to st.." the rest of the message is under the AVAST logo.

When the web pages get blocked it leaves iexplore or firefox processes still running and they cannot be terminated,  I end up having to turn off the power to shut the computer down. Not ideal.

I have an Acer Aspire 5920, running Vista home preimum service pack 2, Zone alarm free firewall, Microsoft Defender and AVAST Free version.

Has anybody got a solution to this problem, as I don't really want to change AV programs, but I can't keep crashing my computer to shut down.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Web Shield blocking browsing. (another case)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »
Make sure that you give access to the web shield(ashwebSv.exe process) in the zonealarm settings.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

KimB

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »
Yes ashwebSv.exe process has access in zone alarm for the trusted and internet zone and set to ask for Server access if necessary.

It's an intermittent problem, browsing stops probably once in a two hour session. This has been going on for some months now. Before this started happening,  I noticed that browsing speed would slow down to a crawl at about the same frequency.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:07:04 PM »
Try using other firewall like Comodo firewall. It is free too.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »
Sometimes ZA glitches make this...
Maybe trying to exclude all avast entries from ZA program list, boot, allowing them again.
The best things in life are free.

volman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:49:24 AM »
Has this is been resolved?  I'm having the exact problems as listed in this initial posting, and it's getting VERY frustrating.  I tried the fix listed about removing AVAST from ZoneAlarm and rebooting.  This has not solved the issue.  I don't want to change firewalls for this issue.  I'm about to remove AVAST.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44:25 AM »
Has this is been resolved?  I'm having the exact problems as listed in this initial posting, and it's getting VERY frustrating.  I tried the fix listed about removing AVAST from ZoneAlarm and rebooting.  This has not solved the issue.  I don't want to change firewalls for this issue.  I'm about to remove AVAST.
This might be a zonealarm issue instead of a avast issue.Try a different firewall like pc tools firewall or comodo.These two are way better then zonealarm.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »
Remove the access to avast in ZA settings.
Boot.
Allow them again.
It should work.
It's a ZA glitch.
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
I view ZoneAlarm as a big glitch. 

Try Outpost or PC Tools.