Author Topic: Hi  (Read 7567 times)

BanziBaby

Hi
« on: June 15, 2003, 12:27:05 AM »
Hi All.Just started using Avast4Pro & i like the prog a lot.Well Done :)

There is just 1 small niggle, everytime i start Kazaalite, it crashes in the kazaalite.kpp file, but only when the resident scanner is on, if i disable it it loads no probs

Nice lookin forum here 2

Cheers

BaNzI :o
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 12:27:24 AM by BanziBaby »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Hi
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 12:47:39 AM »
I haven't checked Kazzalite, but since the same problem has been encountered with Kazaa some time ago, I think the reason is still the same.

The avast! resident protection (more precisely, the Standard Shield) works by "hooking" some functions the applications use to work with files. It means that whenever a program is accessing a file, avast! resident provider is called first and (after scanning the file) it will either allow, or deny access to the file.

Kazaa executables are packed with various exe packers. Well, why not. Unfortunatelly, some of the executables are packed using rather a nasty packer, with absolutely ridiculous settings. When you start such a program, it will try to detect any modifications to the file, any debugger running, and also any hooks present. If such a hook is detected (which is a case when the avast! resident protection is running), the program will INTENTIONALLY CRASH ITSELF.

So, that's it. When Kazza finds avast! hook in memory, it will crash - on purpose. Finding it extremely stupid? (Just the fact that this is an official forum prevents me from using a much worse adjective.) As usually, such a "protection" only bothers completely legal users (if anybody, for some completely unkown reason, really wanted to modify the Kazza executable somehow, he would find a way).

Since the problem you describe concerns Win9x only and since until now, only Kazza has been found to use this paranoid packer & settings, I'm not sure whether this problem will be addressed anyhow - it would require non-trivial changes in the avast! resident protection implementation, which might result in more problems elsewhere in the end.

BanziBaby

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 05:47:27 PM »
Many thanks for the reply igor :)

I tested it a bit & with the 7def update it worked ok, but when i got the latest update the smae happens.I used to use NAV2002, but after gettin 3 infections without it utterin a peep, well i decided to go for anpther prog

I don't use kazaalite that often & i don't mind disablin the resident scanner for a few seconds untill kazaa loads

Thanks again for the help :)

BaNzI

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 09:11:22 AM »
Some kind of workaround for the problem has been implemented... so, it may start to work with the next update :)

BanziBaby

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 02:59:17 PM »
Cool, Thanks a lot igor :)

I just gotta say that Avast is a fine program & unlike some other A/V, actually has a very helpfull forum & dedicated team behind it

Keep up the great work folks :D

BaNzI :o