Author Topic: System tray icon - major loading delay  (Read 4181 times)

arctic

System tray icon - major loading delay
« on: June 01, 2004, 11:21:41 PM »
Hello,  I've been reading all the posts and haven't found anything to help. What's happening is that even though avast loads as it should and works beautifully, the system tray icon doesn't load until 6 minutes after all the other program icons are loaded.  The system boots up at it's normal speed and the process explorer shows that avast is up and running. Still there's that 6 minute delay to get on the net unless I want to check the process explorer every time. The system is clean and virus free and no other antivirus remnants remain. I've tried the repair feature and uninstalled and reinstalled.   I'm running windows 98se. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanx, arctic

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:System tray icon - major loading delay
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 11:46:57 PM »
Hello,  I've been reading all the posts and haven't found anything to help. What's happening is that even though avast loads as it should and works beautifully, the system tray icon doesn't load until 6 minutes after all the other program icons are loaded.  The system boots up at it's normal speed and the process explorer shows that avast is up and running. Still there's that 6 minute delay to get on the net unless I want to check the process explorer every time. The system is clean and virus free and no other antivirus remnants remain. I've tried the repair feature and uninstalled and reinstalled.   I'm running windows 98se. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanx, arctic

I bet on the firewall... Do you use any?
Btw, which antivirus did you install before avast?
The best things in life are free.

arctic

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 11:57:53 PM »
I use Zone Alarm free edition and before Avast I had AntiVir installed (the one from Germany).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 04:51:47 AM »
I use Zone Alarm free edition and before Avast I had AntiVir installed (the one from Germany).

Well, do you mean two antivirus installed at the same computer?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 05:43:30 AM »
Hello Arctic,
     It's radicalb21. First let me welcome you to the forum. I will try and answer your question as will other people in the forum. Can you please give some more information about your computer (like hard drive size, amount of memory, as well as number of  programs running when you come across this problem). Also please check windows update to make sure you are up to date and all critical updates are installed. Please check system performance by right clicking My Computer go to properties and look at the Performance Tab and please post that percentage. The only way to regain these resources is to restart your system. A goog range is 85 % or higher. When your resources get to low you are in danger of your system crashing. Upgrading your RAM will help a little bit. How much hard drive space is available (free space). Upgrading your hard drive if it is to small will also help. Next see how many computer programs are running by looking next to your clock in the system tray. This can be changed by going to Run and type msconfig and go to the Startup Tab and see what programs are running. Programs that are running are the ones that have a checkmark next to them. Some things are required to run windows others are not so if you could post a screenshot or tell us what is running. When you are done unchecking things you will need to restart your system. Hope this helps. If not please repost the new information asked for and I and others will try and help you to the best of are knowledge.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

arctic

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 07:17:08 AM »
Hello again,
I just did windows update 2 days ago and I am only running Avast antivirus with no old anti virus files remaining. I regularly update, clean registry and scan for adware, malware, and such.
The icon delay isn't that big of a deal. It's just that it's driving me crazy 'cause I can't figure it out. If there is no solution, this minor problem is well worth putting up with just to have Avast's superfast update feature. Well anyway. the computer info is as follows:

2 gig Duron processor
735 mg RAM
65% resources free
2 gig harddrive ( I know, I know - must upgrade)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\3CMLNKW.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROPEL ACCELERATOR\PROPELAC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYNETWATCHMAN\NWCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHMAISV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INS\VITALAGENT\PROGRAM\VTLAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE

Also, let me clarify that these are the running processes "before" the icon is loaded. As you can see, Avast is already running. Forgot to mention that I usually have about 500 mg free space (depending on what the swap file is doing). Please excuse my ignorance as I am constantly learning, but could the limited free space be causing the icon delay?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 08:24:54 PM by arctic »