Author Topic: Avast made my pc slow, please help  (Read 23173 times)

Haulero

Avast made my pc slow, please help
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
Hello everyone, I know everybody has their preferences about antivirus, lots of you are happy with avast. But for some reason after I installed Avast my computer got so slow! takes more time to boot, to load up all my programs when starting up, when watching videos online they freeze!

Before installing Avast my computer was ok. I did the installation then asked me if I wanted to do a scan when my computer starts up the next time so I said yes. I restarted my pc, took more time than normal to boot. then I see that a scanning process was started (before windows starts) I I let it run for a little while but it was taking forever and I had to do something so I cancelled it. then when my pc was loading my programs at start up it was taking forever!!!!! it even stopped working for a few minutes so I had to turn it off! I turn it back on but again it took forever, its working but took too much time to start (booting takes 1 minutes, when you first turn it on and see the windows xp logo. takes one minute before I can see the user's name to start windows) After my computer has done loading all my regular programs (such as msn, antivirus, yahoo messenger etc) still works slow, my cpu works at 100 almost all the time, when I try to watch a video on line it gets worse, the video freezes and I have to close internet explorer. I have uninstalled Avast, but the problem is not gone, still there, is not that bad as before but still my computer don't work as before. Still take 1 minute to boot, then takes forever to load up my programs and I still have the same problem trying to watch videos. browsing the web is not that bad. but when I want to watch videos my cpu goes to 100!!

I know Avast had something to do with my computer working so slow because it was not like that! I'm not saying Avast is a bad antivirus, may be my system did not meet the system requirements for this antivirus. So I need help to get my computer back to work as before. please help!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:16:52 PM by Haulero »

YoKenny

Re: Avast made my pc slow, please help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
Welcome Haulero

Please let us know your system specifications as to CPU type and speed plus how much RAM the system has and what operating system and Service Packs installed.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Haulero

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
Thanks guys for your help. I have windows xp. I have a intel celeron 1.40 Ghz 384 Mhz with 1.24 GB of ram, Service pack 3 (thats what I get when I click on system properties) my pc is a dell inspiron b120.

I had AVG installed and Mcafee when I did the installation of Avast. my first AV was mcafee, but my license expired and I didn't renew it since I didn't have money, also because I got a virus before and Mcafee didn't clean it when AVG did. I know is not adviceble to have both AV running but my pc was working fine until I installed Avast. I have uninstalled Avast by a removal tool from Avast web site (I had to do it on safe mode) I uninstalled Mcafee to see it that helps but it doesn't. so now the only AV I have running on my pc is AVG

Update: if I put my pc on standby mode and come back from stanby mode, the system seems to work ok, I can play videos online, however after few minutes the CPU goes to 100 again and won't let me play videos

Thanks guys for your help and if you need more info I will do my best to let you know

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
I would suggest running these uninstall tools to ensure everything has gone.

- You didn't say which McAfee version, so here are the various tools:
- McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

- AVG8.x Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »
Thanks guys for your help. I have windows xp. I have a intel celeron 1.40 Ghz 384 Mhz with 1.24 GB of ram, Service pack 3 (thats what I get when I click on system properties) my pc is a dell inspiron b120.

According to the specs, that model came with 256MB of ram. Did you add more? How much? 1.24GB seems a strange figure- is that the amount indicated? What's the amount fitted?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Haulero

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »
Yes I added 1GB more a while ago  ;)

Haulero

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I would suggest running these uninstall tools to ensure everything has gone.

- You didn't say which McAfee version, so here are the various tools:
- McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

- AVG8.x Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

I did the total unistallation of Mcafee, however I don't want to uninstall AVG because that would leave me with no protection at all, and I need to browse the web to look for a solution to this problem, like I'm doing right now  ::)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »
Yes but you are running BOTH avast! and AVG at the same time?

The best/recommended option would be to download all of the needed files for both programs, then go offline, and uninstall AVG and install avast!
(I presume this is what you want to do?)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:08:37 PM by spg SCOTT »

Haulero

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »

The best/recommended option would be to download all of the needed files for both programs, then go offline, and uninstall AVG and install avast!

NO, I'm not running both. Avast was uninstalled before, the only one I have running right now is AVG....  I had AVG and Mcafee running together with no problems, still I uninstalled Mcafee to see if that helps but it didn't. The only one running right now is AVG

Haulero

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »

I don't really want Avast, the only reason I wanted to have Avast is because AVG free edition fails to update!! but I like AVG. Avast is not really free, its only free for 60 days so I don't really want Avast, now I'm looking for a way to fix my pc, I want it the way it was before I installed Avast  :-[

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

I don't really want Avast, the only reason I wanted to have Avast is because AVG free edition fails to update!! but I like AVG. Avast is not really free, its only free for 60 days so I don't really want Avast, now I'm looking for a way to fix my pc, I want it the way it was before I installed Avast  :-[

Just register and get a key- then it's free for 14 months.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

spg SCOTT

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
Well, if it helps, and you want to remove avast! completely, you could use the avast! uninstall utility:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:37 PM »
Avast Home is free, you just need to register it. This is (partly) so the company has a good idea of how many installations are active. Means that they will then know how much server space is needed for updates, among other things.

If you can not update AVG, the protection offered will quite rapidly decrease. Those updates are important. Something like 40000 malware samples (new) released daily. After a time it will be like not having an AV at all, except for the drag.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
Haulero, do not run avast and AVG at the same time in the same computer...
Just follow the other users' directions to get your avast key.
The best things in life are free.