Author Topic: Avast made my pc slow, please help  (Read 23240 times)

Haulero

Re: Avast made my pc slow, please help
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
Guys I don't want Avast! even if I wanted it I know it don't work in my laptop since it made it slow!!! the only thing I want is to get my computer back the way it was before installing Avast  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 12:45:46 AM »
Guys I don't want Avast! even if I wanted it I know it don't work in my laptop since it made it slow!!! the only thing I want is to get my computer back the way it was before installing Avast  :-\
So, uninstall avast.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
3. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
The best things in life are free.

Haulero

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:30 AM »
Well, if it helps, and you want to remove avast! completely, you could use the avast! uninstall utility:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Thanks you, but I tried that already and still my pc is slow  :(

Haulero

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 12:50:55 AM »
So, uninstall avast.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
3. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.

I have done that and didn't solve my problem :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 12:57:32 AM »
So, your problem is not an avast one... You need to know what is causing the delay in your computer...

Haulero

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 12:59:41 AM »
So, your problem is not an avast one... You need to know what is causing the delay in your computer...

The problem was caused by Avast, since my computer was working good before installing Avast, After installing Avast my computer started working so slow

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 01:05:06 AM »
The problem was caused by Avast, since my computer was working good before installing Avast, After installing Avast my computer started working so slow
Not precisely. You've installed two antivirus at a time. You've used McAfee and AVG, so maybe the problem is not on avast anymore as you've fully uninstalled it. Why don't you find the solution of your problem on McAfee leftovers or even on AVG?
How can we help you right now if you're not using avast?
Sorry for the inconvenience, but there is nothing we can help further...
Did you try AVG forum for help?

Haulero

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 03:36:10 AM »
Not precisely. You've installed two antivirus at a time. You've used McAfee and AVG, so maybe the problem is not on avast anymore as you've fully uninstalled it. Why don't you find the solution of your problem on McAfee leftovers or even on AVG?
How can we help you right now if you're not using avast?
Sorry for the inconvenience, but there is nothing we can help further...
Did you try AVG forum for help?

The problem is not Avast anymore, I know that because it has being installed. But Avast made that problem when I installed it, so whatever happened during this process I need to fix it. AVG and Mcafee should not have anything to do with this since I had both running at the same time before with no problems

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 08:17:04 AM »
The problem is not Avast anymore, I know that because it has being installed. But Avast made that problem when I installed it, so whatever happened during this process I need to fix it. AVG and Mcafee should not have anything to do with this since I had both running at the same time before with no problems
An understandable, yet incorrect take on this issue.
Avast didn't make the problem. You did by having more than one AV installed. The installation of Avast maybe brought it to a head, but something like this was always going to happen, sooner or later.

- Save the full installer file of whatever AV you want to use on your hard drive.
- Download the uninstall/removal tools mentioned earlier in the thread, for McAfee and AVG.
- Go offline. Disconnect completely.
- Uninstall both AV's (one at a time) from the control panel.
- Run each uninstaller in turn.
- Reboot.
- Run a new install of the AV of your choice, follow the various prompts.
- Check the Windows (or any other) firewall is turned on.
- Reconnect to the net.
- Update your AV.
- If AVG (I'm guessing that's the one you're going to install) refuses to update, go to the AVG forums, search for that problem (there will be literally thousands of search results) and apply one of the suggested fixes. The normal fix is to wait until the servers aren't overloaded.
I might be doing AVG a dis-service; up until recently, slow/ no updates was a common ssue, since the release of AVG 8. Maybe things have improved a bit, don't really know.

[edited]= missing step included.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
AVG and Mcafee should not have anything to do with this since I had both running at the same time before with no problems
Sooner or later, conflicts...
avast installed and uninstalled lefts nothing behind to mess your computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »

Haulero

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 03:33:32 AM »
An understandable, yet incorrect take on this issue.
Avast didn't make the problem. You did by having more than one AV installed. The installation of Avast maybe brought it to a head, but something like this was always going to happen, sooner or later.

- Save the full installer file of whatever AV you want to use on your hard drive.
- Download the uninstall/removal tools mentioned earlier in the thread, for McAfee and AVG.
- Go offline. Disconnect completely.
- Uninstall both AV's (one at a time) from the control panel.
- Run each uninstaller in turn.
- Reboot.
- Run a new install of the AV of your choice, follow the various prompts.
- Check the Windows (or any other) firewall is turned on.
- Reconnect to the net.
- Update your AV.
- If AVG (I'm guessing that's the one you're going to install) refuses to update, go to the AVG forums, search for that problem (there will be literally thousands of search results) and apply one of the suggested fixes. The normal fix is to wait until the servers aren't overloaded.
I might be doing AVG a dis-service; up until recently, slow/ no updates was a common ssue, since the release of AVG 8. Maybe things have improved a bit, don't really know.

[edited]= missing step included.

Thank you! I'm going to try this. At this point I'm trying everything to get my computer back the way it was before, its very annoying not to watch videos and wait more than 1 minute to boot, etc lol

YoKenny

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »
Thank you! I'm going to try this. At this point I'm trying everything to get my computer back the way it was before, its very annoying not to watch videos and wait more than 1 minute to boot, etc lol
You will love Windows 7 when you get a system capable of running it and I have set to do a cold boot.

My old XP Pro system takes less than a minute to boot as well.

Haulero

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24:09 AM »
Yay I fixed my laptop!!! and you will never believe what the problem was :) it was a coincidence, the problem kick off when i installed Avast so I though Avast made the problem  ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
What was the problem?