Author Topic: How avast! 4.8 scored in my small malware test  (Read 3863 times)

Roflmeister

How avast! 4.8 scored in my small malware test
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:56:32 AM »
Hello all :) Today i conducted my own small malware test consisting of 156 100% real samples (none of that eicar fake stuff etc.) The malware i tested were 30 Backdoors, 36 Trojans, 30 Worms, 30 Viruses and 30 Hoaxes and the antivirus programs i tested were Avira Antivir Free, Avast! 4.8 Home edition and COMODO Internet Security (which is free). The results were as follows:
Avira - 142/156
COMODO - 148/156
Avast! - 154/156

As you can see the beloved avast! did the best  ;D (All antiviruses were configured to their maximum abilities) I was actually very suprised to see avira with the lowest detection rate in this test but hey it's still a great product. Another that suprised me was COMODO i was expecting to see COMODO with a horrible detection rate but it did fantastic (It's weakest detection was against the Trojans) Well hope you all find this useful or entertaining OR BOTH :D Peace out everyone.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: How avast! 4.8 scored in my small malware test
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
Good on you for running this, and the result posted.
However, even though Avast shines in this test, to tell the truth the sample is so small, and the malware landscape so changeable, that it is pretty much meaningless, apart from entertainment value.

Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Roflmeister

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
True, I mainly ran this test to pass time and to compare how COMODO would scan compared to other antivirus solutions. In my opinion: Mission accomplished, i succesfully passed 30 mins in doing so :) :) I might try and waste some more time by working on testing a couple thousand malware samples, wish me luck  ;D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »
wish me luck  ;D
Crikey! 2000! Good luck.  ;)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

greyshade

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »

.... The results were as follows:
Avira - 142/156
COMODO - 148/156
Avast! - 154/156

Interested to know which were the two malware that Avast! did not detect.

Roflmeister

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:13:50 PM »
Avast! did not detect BadJoke.W32.Agent.f and BadJoke.W32.MewII.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
could you please mail those samples to alwil?? : virus@avast.com

micky77

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »
I might try and waste some more time by working on testing a couple thousand malware samples,
Why bother, AV comparatives February and May tested almost 1.5 million samples. No offence but your tests are meaningless.

Cavecadvant

How avast 4 8 scored in my small malware test
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
I agree, I play it very much when I first get it, than not at all for some time and after a time I begin playing it again. If it is a good game wich you can model I play it more often.

Roflmeister

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »
I know my tests might be small and not mean much at all, but I just like to see how the "under dog" antiviruses perform against the more popular products in terms of scanning etc. Sometimes i just like to see things for myself rather than believe what these professional testing companies tell you, I guess i got some paranoiya issue ;D It still gives me a chance to do some good deeds though because the malware that isn't detected by an anitvirus gets submitted to it's company by me when i find the time. Also i got educated in this expierience quite a lot  about "On-access" protection of antiviruses and even though i am an avast! fan for life, i feel that COMODO is sometimes under estimated in it's terms of On-access protection with it's Defence+ system. I do hope that avast! might at some point add a feature like Defence+ to their products because it has the capabilities to catch ALL malware before it infects your PC (only if you are an expierienced user though). Peace out everyone and may Alwil keep up the great work.