Author Topic: ashServ.exe problem  (Read 16443 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:ashServ.exe problem
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 10:06:48 AM »
OK, a little clarification:
1. The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int
2. One minute to (re)generate the VRDB seems to be way too short for me - after all, it has to check all the executable files on your harddisk.
3. You can check the <avast>\Data\avast4.ini file. In the [VRBD] section, there is the LastFile item during the VRDB generation; it's the last file processed during the hard disk sweep.

I get a pop-up after completing a scan:
Scan completed with error
3=The system cannot find the path specified

Do you have some kind of unformatted (or inaccessible) partition in your system?

Henny

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 12:22:39 PM »
Hi,

Well, I have about the same problem here. I have Avast Home installed on 3 computers, but the only one running Win XP gets incredibly slow when Avast is doing his thing. Don't exactly know what it's doing, but the A-icon in the systemtray is spinning. Well, 'spinning' is a big word....it very slowly turns the A around in fractions of millimeters at a time. This takes about 3 to 6 minuts I guess, before it is finally done.

During those 3 to 6 minuts, I can't do anything with my computer. It is SO incredibly slow. Keyboard and mouse do respond, but very slowly too. I can type a couple of lines before I can see the characters appear on the screen. Some programs even generate "not responding" errors, which I ignore, because I know when Avast is done doing what he does, everything will turn back to normal.

Well, to make a long story short....it's beginning to annoy me.
Is there some way to fix this problem? Does it have something to do with Windows XP perhaps?
My computer is a P4 2Ghz with 1GB of memory.

Apart from this little problem, I just love avast and recomment it to anyone I know.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Henny
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 12:29:56 PM by Henny »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 01:29:02 PM »
It doesn't sound like the same problem - the "a"-icon is not VRDB-related, it's just avast! scanning.
What exactly are your settings of the Standard Shield resident provider?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 03:57:15 PM »
Hello, Henny, like Igor said, your problem does not seem to be related to VRDB.

I can make a guess:
Did you install any other antivirus in your computer?
Do you use a firewall? Which one?

Wellcome to forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Henny

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 05:36:51 PM »
True, it's probably not a VRDB error, but I was refering to the topic header "ashServ.exe problem" and the fact that it uses up way to much CPU time/power. Sorry for the confiusion.

My settings of the Standard Shield resident provider are...basicly the way Avast installed itself. I didn't customize it in any way. Only checked the 'protect any emailaccount I will create in the future' box while installing.
Sensitivity is high. Anything else you want to know?

I have no other antivirus products installed. The one in the BIOS is switched off too. I use Sygate Personal Firewall. Settings of Avast and Sygate are all the same on all three computers. Only the XP computer has this problem.

Gene Johnson

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 06:15:26 PM »
igor: I have no unformatted sector on my hard drive. The avast.int shows a 5MB file that was created when I downloaded/installed and updated an hour later. I cannot (conveniently) open/read it.

Everything seems to be running normal. Speed is fine. If I let VRDB run in the background nothing bad happens that I can see, it just takes up 20% CPU usage continuously. All security checks show no problems and I can find nothing out of the ordinary (with my limited knowledge) when I read the HijackThis log.

I have SBC DSL and problem occurs whether I am connected or not.

I appreciate the assistance, Gene

Gene Johnson

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 07:04:05 PM »
Igor: I checked the LastFile checked. It was dsdmo.dll, the Direct Sound Effects file in sys32. Gene

Henny

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 07:48:12 PM »
You know what? I'll post my problem in a new post.
I don't want to take over Gene's topic. :)

edit: Done!
My problem resumes here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4897

Goodluck Gene. I hope your problem will be solved soon as well :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 07:52:19 PM by Henny »

Gene Johnson

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 08:59:13 AM »
Can anyone tell me what
          Scan completed with error
          3=the system cannot find the path specified
means. It pops up every time I do a scan.

I printed out: Understanding avast4.ini file posted by Technical to check/adjust settings and noticed my file is different. Several items like:PopListen, SmtpListen, etc. are not in my file. Are you quoting a different version than avast4 Home?

Each time I generate a VRDB it stops at a different file, although always somewhere in system32.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »
Gene, I fixed a bug that may cause this "system cannot find the path specified" a few days ago. However, I would like to know what is the cause on your system... can you please post a description of all the partitions ("letters") you have on your system? I mean, something like:
A: diskette
C: local disk partition, system drive, NTFS
D: local disk partition, NTFS
E: CD-ROM
F: ZIP

Additionally, go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the Report file, please. Configure it to include "Hard errors, Soft errors and Skipped files" and run the scan again. When it's done, you can attach the report file here... it should tell us what object caused the problem...
Thanks!

Gene Johnson

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 01:08:55 AM »
Igor: Thanks to your clues I have found a phantom E: disk drive. According to MY Computer I have 2 disk drives (C: and E:). According to Device Manager I only have 1 disk drive (C:). When I scan C: it scans fine. When I scan E: I get the "scan completed with error" message. I am working at another forum to try to get rid of the phantom drive. I hope this will solve problem. More to come......

Gene

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 03:58:34 AM »
Gene, happy that you are near of a solution...

Just to explain that my study about the avast4.ini file:

Not all the configurations are by default, you can add the lines of specific configurations.

You can add the settings for both Home and Professional version without any trouble. If you have Home, maybe some Professional features won't be activated but, after all, you won't harm your installation.

I'll post this information in that forum too as other users asked for it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 10:04:54 AM »
According to MY Computer I have 2 disk drives (C: and E:). According to Device Manager I only have 1 disk drive (C:). When I scan C: it scans fine. When I scan E: I get the "scan completed with error" message.

In the current version of avast!, there is a small bug regarding the error message. However, in the upcoming update the problem will be fixed - so it will be possible to avoid the error message by putting the whole partition into avast's list of exclutions (as E:). I know you probably don't want to have this partition at all, but there are some people experiencing the same problem e.g. with unformatted partitions they want to keep for some reason.

big_gie

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 02:47:39 PM »
I have the same "ashServ.exe CPU = 20%" problem...
In the simple interface, I get "last scan: never" and "last vpdb: never" but I scan my computer each 12AM and 12PM everyday...

I changed VRDB to "when screensaver" (it was "when idle") and it seems normal for now, maybe until the screen saver runs... :P

Also, I don't have a screensaver, only a "screen shutdown" after 10 minutes. Will VRDB run?

thanx