Author Topic: What protection is lacking in Avast! free edition?  (Read 6423 times)

lulud

What protection is lacking in Avast! free edition?
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
What features are lacking in the free edition that make it unsuitable for computers that contain private or sensitive information?  I made the comparison to the Professional edition, but couldn't see right off what the vulnerability is.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: What protection is lacking in Avast! free edition?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Script blocker. and for not-so-security-realated-for-PRO-only-feature is the Enhanced User interface which enables setting up automated scan response.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
If you haven't seen it already:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-compare-home-professional.html

As you can see, the home version differentiates from the Pro version with the features mentioned above.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
Script blocker. and for not-so-security-realated-for-PRO-only-feature is the Enhanced User interface which enables setting up automated scan response.

One thing to remember, Script blocker does NOT work on Vista or Windows 7 when using IE with Protected Mode enabled.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:09:50 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:16:16 PM »
Just noticed that he was asking for avast Free edition which is avast 5's. I made the wrong reply.

Now, to get it right, most of those I know are Firewall, script Blocker, PUSH updates. The rest, I dunno.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
The script blocker doesn't only work with web based scripts, so that element isn't browser dependant.

However, there will be a greater difference when version 5 hits the streets. The home/free version will have some improvements and additions, but the pro version will have additional functions. So we will have to see exactly what those differences will be nearer the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lulud

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
Many thanks to all of the replies.  It appears that there aren't any important features lacking in the free edition--except that it doesn't remove viruses, it only finds them.  Is that correct?

lulud

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
It is wrong, the free version which I have been using for over five years will remove viruses just as the Pro version would.

There are cases when a file can't be dealt with (file in use, etc.), but these are specific issues that isn't because of having the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »
avast! antivirus - Versions comparison

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-compare-home-professional.html

Sorry...already posted

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:34 PM »
except that it doesn't remove viruses, it only finds them.  Is that correct?
No, fully wrong. The cleaning capacity is the same and the detection rate (virus database and heuristics) is the same.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 02:14:58 AM »
lulud, they both are capable of removing viruses. The difference is with the free version, when you scan, it stops if a threat is detected and won't resume until you select what to do with it. Essentially you have to babysit it while it scans. With the pro version you can predefine what it should do with threats and it will do it automatically.  :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:26:16 AM »
Some of the other companies that make a free version partially limit their detection or cleaning ability.
Not so Avast.
What is limited is mainly the automated scan and handling of same, and the other details as listed in the comparison chart.
IMO this makes Avast Home one of the best - if not the best - of the free versions. In fact it's better than quite a few of the pay-for programs, I reckon.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

lulud

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
These replies have been truly  helpful--more so than any other forum I can think of.  It speaks highly of the users of Avast!, and by reflection, of the program itself.
lulud

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

hello123

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
Avast! 5 paid will  be

Avast! premium = (similar to pro)

Avast! internet security = (will have firewall and antispam)