Author Topic: PDF file readers  (Read 21770 times)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: PDF file readers
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
Why? And thank you. :)

because there were exploits which used loop holes in the pdf reader. generally they will be in the wild. so better to turn off javascript option and also view in browser in foxit.

you are welcome.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »
Uninstallation of Adobr Reader 7.0.9 created a (hidden) empty folder "C:\Congif.Msi", should I manually remove it?

Other that that I think it's all gone and now I'm going to install Foxit Reader with customizations, as you told me. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
regarding config.msi, i think yokenny is the best guy to ask for. he might post here (I don't know).

good that you are switching to foxit. blindly do not install any app. go through all the steps and uncheck which is not required.
you can get your self a really good uninstaller : revo uninstaller (portable)-use the moderate option while uninstalling anything.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:14:28 PM by nmb »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
I tried to install the latest free Foxit Reader but it automatically installs the toolbar so I cancelled the installation.  >:(

Now I don't know what to do - install Sumatra PDF reader or an older version of Foxit reader... What would be safer? I hope Sumatra has no toolbars, background running processes or similar stuff...

Please help, because I'm unable to view PDF files now. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
regarding config.msi, i think yokenny is the best guy to ask for. he might post here (I don't know).

YoKenny, would you tell me a bit about that folder? :)

Edit: Now I'm really considering installing Sumatra PDF reader. Can you tell me if it's a safe one (exploits etc.)? Is it safer to use than the Adobe's old version (7)? Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:06:26 PM by Bellzemos »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
you need to click custom installation while installing. that is white i meant when i said : blindly do not install any application.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »
you need to click custom installation

I did.

Can anyone suggest me a good and safe free PDF viewer? I'm thinking about installing Sumatra.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
then why didn't you deselect install toolbar installation as i told you previously?.

you can use sumatra pdf. i think its not vulnerable as foxit and adobe.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »
you need to click custom installation

I did.

You have to continue through the installation until near the end, when you are prompted about the toolbar - Un-tick the first box (see image)

Can anyone suggest me a good and safe free PDF viewer? I'm thinking about installing Sumatra.

IF you do choose Sumatra, I would suggest the portable version available here - it is easier to install:
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sumatra_pdf_portable

It can be run from the hard drive (I do) - just install it to a location on the hard drive and then launch 'SumatraPDFPortable.exe'

-Scott-
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:39:55 PM by spg SCOTT »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 07:52:07 PM »
then why didn't you deselect install toolbar installation as i told you previously?.

Oops, I didn't know that this selection is at the very end of the installation (as Scott said). :)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
open your eyes fully and read everything the installer is telling or asking you to do. then select the required things.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

IF you do choose Sumatra, I would suggest the portable version available here - it is easier to install:
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/sumatra_pdf_portable

It can be run from the hard drive (I do) - just install it to a location on the hard drive and then launch 'SumatraPDFPortable.exe'

-Scott-

Hm, and what is differnet from the "normal" Sumatra? I don't think I need a portable version. I downloaded latest one called "SumatraPDF.exe". Thank you for the help! :)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
open your eyes fully and read everything the installer is telling or asking you to do. then select the required things.

My eyes:  :o

;D

Thank you for your help too! :)

I have to decide between Sumatra and Foxit now...

YoKenny

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »

YoKenny, would you tell me a bit about that folder? :)

Edit: Now I'm really considering installing Sumatra PDF reader. Can you tell me if it's a safe one (exploits etc.)? Is it safer to use than the Adobe's old version (7)? Thank you! :)
Firstly I do not use anything from Adobe as the prolific malware purveyors are on it like rats to a bit of cheese and they are just as prolific:
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761559338/Rat.html

Sumatra PDF is OK but it does not have the features of Foxit Reader so like whatever cheese you like then use what you want but then I like Roquefort and dislike anything from Kraft and McDonald's:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-roquefort.htm  

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »
first install foxit.

use it for a day or two.

remove it and start using sumatra.

use it for a day or two.

come back and tell us your experience.