Author Topic: avast 4.8 stopped running at startup  (Read 11677 times)

s2sap

avast 4.8 stopped running at startup
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
A microsoft techie took over my pc remotely to fix a problem with ie8 and changed my startup settings to selective instead of normal - which is great because the pc now loads and shuts down 10 times faster - but how do i now get avast to start running when my pc is first switched on to give me real time protection - this is how it was before.

Any help appreciated

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast 4.8 stopped running at startup
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
I would have though that even in a selective startup avast would still run as avast should be a startup item.
From the windows Start button, Run, type msconfig and click OK; that open the System Configuration window. The General tab is where the Selective Startup is checked, change that to normal Startup. This will obviously increase start and shutdown times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

s2sap

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi Thanks for that but I dont want to go back to normal startup I want to stay with selective startup but have avast included. Maybe avast is running in the background but there is no "a" icon beside my clock where it used to be.

Any ideas ?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Go to msconfig as suggested by DavidR, in the "startup" tab, make sure "ashDisp" has a tick beside it. OK, and exit, restart.
The note will come up after reboot, advising you have made changes to the way Windows starts. Tick "Do not show me this or run msconfig at startup again" (or message to that effect) and OK.

The effect of this will be to add the above file to the startup, which won't affect the startup time very much, but should enable the icon.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
@s2sap

The use of msconfig as a start up manager is not recommended but Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is recommended:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

What operating system and Service pack level are you running?

s2sap

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
Hi YoKenny,

XP Media Edition Service Pack3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
Go to msconfig as suggested by DavidR, in the "startup" tab, make sure "ashDisp" has a tick beside it. OK, and exit, restart.
The note will come up after reboot, advising you have made changes to the way Windows starts. Tick "Do not show me this or run msconfig at startup again" (or message to that effect) and OK.

The problem (as I see it) with this idea is that the ashDisp.exe doesn't start avast only the desktop icon without the supporting services/processes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
Hm. In my msconfig, under "startup" the ashDisp is the only Avast process available to be disabled.
I think I've mistakenly misread what's going on in the OP, as the display icon not working.
I see now it (appears to be) the entire program.
Surely the tech wouldn't have messed with the services, do you think?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
I wouldn't have though so, it is the selective startup which is the problem and avast won't be the only application effected and this is why, for normal use it is a bad idea as it leaves your system less secure.

Unfortunately there is little configuration in this selective startup, I don't know if it will start services and certainly not early in the boot process as is required by the avast services and device drivers to be fully protected as soon as possible. So Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel as YoKenny mentioned is a good place to start (excuse the pun) or not ;D

The only real option is a normal boot mode and do an audit of what actually starts on boot and stop those non-essential applications from starting if they absolutely don't need to start, e.g. security based applications and windows services, etc.

s2sap

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »
OK thanks everyone for your help - if I am going to leave my laptop on selective startup without avast automatically starting when I turn it on how do I turn ON the avast program once I have started my laptop and tell it to physically keep running and protecting as opposed to just doing a system scan - hope this makes sense ?

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
Looks like the laptop could use more RAM.

What is the make and model of the laptop and how much RAM does it have?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
If you open taskmanager after startup, (but without having intervened to manually start Avast) are there any Avast processes running? (Look for processes beginning with "ash"then a capital, such as ashServ.exe.)
I suspect the program is running, but the icon is missing. (ashServ.exe is the main Avast service.) If this is the case, follow my advice at reply 3.
If not, I'd seriously look at following up on DavidRs suggestion.

s2sap

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
Thanks again.  Looked in taskmanager and there are no Ash.anything running.
In my selective startup there is an ashDisp but it is not ticked to run at startup. If I tick that it will run at startup but what is ashDisp. There are no other Ash programs in there.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
Have a look at the "services" tab in msconfig. Order them by name. Any Avast services unticked? Tick them all.
ashDisp = see reply 6, by DavidR.
(I would have thought the Avast program would run without ashDisp needing to be active.) I also would have thought that the tech would not have been able to disable the Avast services without disabling the self protection module, so that's odd.
It's possible you might need to repair your Avast installation.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »
I am more interested in my questions asked in Reply #10 by me.