Author Topic: avast 4.8 stopped running at startup  (Read 11676 times)

s2sap

Re: avast 4.8 stopped running at startup
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
YoKenny - I had to go and find the info from when I bought laptop so here it is - bought it 3 years ago now

Specifications for this PHILIPS X56

Processor Type T5600
Processor speed 1.83 mhz
Memory Size 1024 mb
Memory Type DDR II
Hard Drive Capacity 80 Gb
Optical Drives DVDRW Dual Layer
Screen Size/Type 12.1 WXGA
Graphics Card Type Intel GMA950
Graphics Memory Up to 224 MB mb

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:18:17 PM »
That looks like an adequate system now we need to undo what the microsoft techie did as all they want to do is to prove that it is not a Microsoft problem.

A repair of avast! is recommended.

So you need System Explorer to see what is taking up the system resources:
http://systemexplorer.mistergroup.org <== I use 1.5 version

s2sap

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
YoKenny

Systemexplorer installed - what am i looking for ?

YoKenny

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »
Look in Performance in Processor Usage for the spikes that will show you what application is running if you hover the mouse pointer over the spike.

Did you do an avast! repair re-install?

Maybe its a good idea to get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) then update it then run a Quick scan and let it remove all it finds:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Post its log here after it completes.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »
Thanks again.  Looked in taskmanager and there are no Ash.anything running.
In my selective startup there is an ashDisp but it is not ticked to run at startup. If I tick that it will run at startup but what is ashDisp. There are no other Ash programs in there.

As mentioned my Reply #6 states the ashDisp.exe is the icon but has zero protection behind it.

The Selective Startup really is a troubleshooting tool, to effectively ensure your system boots, but it isn't something to use for normal day to day use as too many functions won't be running (like in safe mode but not so severe).

There is no way I would run my system in selective startup for day to day use, but this is your system and it has to be your choice, but don't be too surprised if you happen to get infected.

@ Tarq57
I don't know if the selective startup doesn't override the items in the Services tab, after all that is what I believe the selective startup is meant to do. Where the Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and 'services,' presumably those listed in the Services tab od msconfig.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
@ Tarq57
I don't know if the selective startup doesn't override the items in the Services tab, after all that is what I believe the selective startup is meant to do. Where the Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and 'services,' presumably those listed in the Services tab od msconfig.
I'm not sure myself.
But one thing I've noticed is that after removing some items from the startup list in msconfig (qttask and other unwanteds) but without altering anything in the general tab, it has defaulted to "selective startup", and no services were disabled or reset to manual, except for the ones I set in services.msc.
Screenshot for details.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
That really is weird, but then again there is on category Custom option, which would be a Normal Startup with any changes you make to other sections of msconfig.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security