Author Topic: Can someone check out this site  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Can someone check out this site
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks jsejtko, do you know what does that weird script tag do at the bottom of the page that we have been talking about ?
if you mean this <script language='javascript'>postamble();</script> it looks that it can be caused by ZoneAlarm:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=994082&page=2
http://forums.zonealarm.com/archive/index.php/t-57581.html

Milos

spg SCOTT

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 06:53:11 PM »
Hello,

It is probably not hacked - but it uses webstat.net which is blocked. Please switch to some other statistic, because webstat.net was distributing malware in the past.

Best Regards

Thanks for the update, you are correct, as usual. :D

Just copied the webstat script into notepad and tried to save it and avast! alerted...Good call :D
(also no alert without it.)

@felix222

This script can be found in the source code of the sites marked as infected. The easiest way to find it is to look through the source code and search (usually Ctrl F ) for webstat.

I have also attached a pic of the code.

You will have to remove the highlighted  code from <script... to </script...
There is also a link after to webstat (highlighted in red) which could also be removed - along with the next bit of text which I think is part of it...

-Scott-

[EDIT] Interesting read Milos, thanks for the links.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
Good work scott.  :)

felix222

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
Cool, Scott. Yet, when I view the source, I don't get all of this. You must be viewing the source in a different manner than I am. I'm just doing the typical "right click/view source" malarky. What's your secret?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »
I am just using an online source code viewer...but the method you use should also show it I think.

Which on are you looking at, it is not on the home page, but the quick links pages. This means you would have to visit them.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
Thanks jsejtko, do you know what does that weird script tag do at the bottom of the page that we have been talking about ?
if you mean this <script language='javascript'>postamble();</script> it looks that it can be caused by ZoneAlarm:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=994082&page=2

Milos

Thanks for that, for me just another nail in the ZA coffin, how can they justify modifying page code, just to block pop-ups when they are other tools that do this without modifying web pages.

If that was my site that they had inserted this script I would be hopping mad, not just for the unauthorised modification, but if these pop-ups generated ad/sponsor revenue, even more so.

I don't know where they stand legally modifying pages as the pages being viewed are on-line and I don't have ZA so it isn't modifying local browser cache pages.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

felix222

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Okay, SCOTT. I was, indeed, only source viewing the Home page. I was reticent to actually go to a QUICK LINKS page since avast! advised against it. I feel justified in avoiding them, since, at some point this morning, whilst playing at all of this, something ate everything in my Thunderbird Inbox and replaced it with old mail from a host of mail folders I maintain. The hard drive went wacko! Scary. Perhaps there's no relation. Still, I'm scanning the system as we speak (type.) What's the safe way to get to a QUICK LINKS page?

greyshade

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
Hi all,

Have tried several times, but can't access the second link Milos provided (the ZA forums) using Firefox. All i get is a blank page. Is it only me?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
It is working fine for me, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greyshade

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
seems to be only me. :'(

thanks David, for checking and sending the attached image.

Tried just now again... after an hour, but something seems to be blocking this particular page... strange  ???