Author Topic: Svchost problem! Avast ?  (Read 7512 times)

zone12

Svchost problem! Avast ?
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
I've been having problems on my computer were alot of Svchosts(Local netowork Resticted) (Sescvcs) Spamming my HDD with Read/Write commands. I have had no luck trying to find any help but I've been wondering, could it avast scanning in the backround?

The files that The svchosts go for are mainly windows one but there are also a few steam game files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Svchost problem! Avast ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:05:50 AM »
Scanning in the background wouldn't be using write commands.

What do you mean by spamming your HDD (read/writes is HDD activity not spamming, you need to find what instigates that activity, file indexing, etc.) ?
What exactly do you mean by scanning in the background ?
avast is a resident scanner so it only scans in response to activity not on its own volition.

Svchost is used by many different applications, even malware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zone12

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:37 AM »
Scanning in the background wouldn't be using write commands.

What do you mean by spamming your HDD (read/writes is HDD activity not spamming, you need to find what instigates that activity, file indexing, etc.) ?
What exactly do you mean by scanning in the background ?
avast is a resident scanner so it only scans in response to activity not on its own volition.

Svchost is used by many different applications, even malware.

I don't know I have Superfetch and indexer off. It could be a virus but I just scanned.Spamming as in its at full capacity at all times,so if I want to do something the loading time is far bigger than normal

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »
Well spamming is fairly associated with the email variety, this is adverse HDD activity.

Is the avast icon rotating whilst this is going on (presumably it is) ?
What sensitivity do you have the standard shield set to (Normal is the default) ?

You could try this to try and see what files are being accessed, that may give a clue as to what is initiating this activity.
-  Standard Shield - Left click on the avast 'a' icon, click the Details... >> button if shown, select the Standard Shield provider > Customize > Advanced - 'Show detailed info on performed actions' this option is off by default.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zone12

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »
Well spamming is fairly associated with the email variety, this is adverse HDD activity.

Is the avast icon rotating whilst this is going on (presumably it is) ?
What sensitivity do you have the standard shield set to (Normal is the default) ?

You could try this to try and see what files are being accessed, that may give a clue as to what is initiating this activity.
-  Standard Shield - Left click on the avast 'a' icon, click the Details... >> button if shown, select the Standard Shield provider > Customize > Advanced - 'Show detailed info on performed actions' this option is off by default.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

MAlwares Bytes didn't come up with anything so the SUPER, Along with avast, Spybot SD ,Windows defender.

The Avast icon... Well I havn't been tracking it, but it rotates once every once ina while.

Currently It seems that My CPU is also maxed out, It isn't doing much actual work but, as you know the performence and reliabity Displays 2 things. The Maximum freqency is Maxed out. "System" is the most threaded thing using up 130ish treads.

I'm checking up on the Task scheduler, and I'm wondering if any of these following things may have caused it

Task name

Consolidator

Hot start

LP Remove

Nap Status UI

Optin Notification

Queue Reporting

System sound service

System Task

TMM

Usertask

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:59 AM »
It would be helpful if you updated your signature with your system specifications as most of us do.

System Explorer will show a performance graph with the highest processor utilization shown as spikes or lines if the process is maxed out:
http://systemexplorer.mistergroup.org

I do not use it as a Task Manager replacement.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:32 AM »
Well if the avast icon is only rotating once in a while, which I would find strange for a) that amount of CPU activity an b) the thrashing of the HDD activity.

You didn't answer about the standard shield sensitivity, which would if set to High mean more scanning, that however, would still only be a result of activity. So the sooner you set the 'Show detailed info on performed actions' the sooner you find the files being scanned and possibly the application responsible for the activity.

Stop wondering what may be the cause, the Task Manager, Processes tab if using XP should show the % CPU activity that each running process is using. Then using system explorer as YoKenny mentioned or process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx) you may be able to dig deeper.

zone12

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »
About the Shield its on standard,The actual CPU usage is small. But if you do use vista there should be an program called the Performence and Reliablity monitor in Control Panel>Performence>advanced.

I don't really know much about CPUs and Treads but  "System"(Kernel and NT) is listed using 130ish treads.

The Monitor shows 2 lines one green one blue

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722173(WS.10).aspx

That has a table which makes it abit clearer.

Now the green line isn't doing much most of the time, but the Blue is always at Max.
My HDD seems to have clamed down for a bit today were the Blue line for the HDD graph dipped down for a bit.

Another issue that comes to mine is that, The "Cached"  Space on my Ram is constantly filling up without Superfetch, I know that This could be just windows.

Specs
--------------------------
AMD x4 2.5Ghz Quad
6GB  Ram
750HDD
NIVDA Geforce 9800GT(1GB RAM)
--------------------------
Vista service pack 2 64bit

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »
I don't know anything about AMD 64bit CPUs.

You need to go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: then input your system specs like my signature.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:38:49 AM »
About the Shield its on standard,The actual CPU usage is small.

The standard shield doesn't have a 'Standard' sensitivity setting, Normal, High & Custom, so I don't know where you are finding Standard. The only Standard setting is on-demand scanner Quick/Standard/Thorough, but that doesn't relate to the resident scanner, Standard Shield.

I don't use Vista, only XP Pro.

zone12

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 01:58:41 AM »

The standard shield doesn't have a 'Standard' sensitivity setting, Normal, High & Custom, so I don't know where you are finding Standard. The only Standard setting is on-demand scanner Quick/Standard/Thorough, but that doesn't relate to the resident scanner, Standard Shield.

Its on normal

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:10:20 AM »
OK, on normal it should only be scanning files that are a higher threat of infection, so the icon shouldn't be rotating all the time.

So you will have to look deeper, using Process explorer or System explorer suggested by YoKenny as this activity isn't avast related. Since you say indexing and superfetch are off, the only other thing I can think of is desktop search optimisation, or something like that. Other than that I'm running on empty.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »

Its on normal
I guess you are having a problem updating your PROFILE Signature?

Have a look at Autoruns for Windows v9.54 as it has been updated for x64:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx