Author Topic: Some CPU Questions  (Read 3572 times)

BRANDONN2008

Some CPU Questions
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »
I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting hardware questions on this board but I don't like signing up for a bunch of different forums and everyone here seems to know as much about hardware as software.

1. How important are L1, L2, and L3 caches? I am considering the AMD Phenom II X3 2.6 Ghz 720 black edition or the AMD Phenom II X4 2.6 Ghz processor. Some of the reviews were saying the tri-core is better for gaming and that is has a better cache, even though its only like 2mb more.

2. Can one process run on multiple cores? For example, if you had a 2.6 Ghz dual core and one process was somehow taking 3Ghz, could it split it up over two cores?

I think I had one more but I can't remember right now. Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Some CPU Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
1. Memory based in the CPU obviously operates much faster (same speed as the CPU) that that of standard RAM. So number crunching done in there would be faster and L1 and L2 are usually assigned to each core, but L3 is normally shared between all cores. This is a compromise allowing greater flexibility, but the more L1, L2 and L3 memory the better.

2. I believe it can, but that would depend on the application being able to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, many aren't able to do this.

Processes don't use GHz theu use CPU cycles % of the CPUs processing power, so can't exceed that figure. If an application is using a lot of the a cores CPU % then if the application is so designed it could split/share the multi threaded processes over more than one core.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:18 AM »
I'm not partial to AMD CPUs as my first system had one and it self destructed twice with one time taking the motherboad with it.
It was probably due to them cooking themselves as they tend to run hot and not like non-air conditioned environments nor electrical power irregularities.

Windows 7 uses multiple cores quite well:
MultiCore Processing
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2009/09/four-secret-reasons-why-win7-is-ten.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:47:39 AM »
I would go with Intel but AMD seems to give more bang for the buck, though I know almost everyone swears by one brand or the other.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:56:25 AM »
It is very hard to do direct comparisons on bang for buck as there are very few direct comparison reviews.

What you need to do is work out how much you are prepared to spend, then find CPUs from both Intel and AMD at about that price and do comparisons on performance V cost.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:18 AM »
I have done that and the AMD won. Also, what part does wattage play, because there are two AMD processors that are the same except one is 95w and the other is like 125w.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:01:50 AM »
More power required, e.g. drain on the PSU and more electricity used and a hotter chip.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
I'm not partial to AMD CPUs as my first system had one and it self destructed twice with one time taking the motherboad with it.
It was probably due to them cooking themselves as they tend to run hot and not like non-air conditioned environments nor electrical power irregularities.

Windows 7 uses multiple cores quite well:
MultiCore Processing

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2009/09/four-secret-reasons-why-win7-is-ten.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

I've used AMD's in the past and they worked like swiss clocks for me, i absolutely loved them. Never had one die on me. I switched to Intel though when the C2D's came out and i am still on C2D(must be over 2 yrs now) and slowly starting to consider a switch to the i5's. But those Phenom II's are quite appealing, they really are good. Anyway it is an old habbit of mine but i always go for a better cooling solution. Those stock cpu coolers suck especially if you are like me and like to OC to get even more bang for the buck.  ;D Good air coolers are really not expensive these days.

@BRANDONN2008: I guess you're into gaming so i think this article is relevant for you. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2398.html

Myself i've been so happy with Intel these last few years and i'll probably stay with Intel. Since day 1 i've had this cpu OCed, working almost 24/7(i rarely turn off my machine) and no problems so far. Not talking a mild overclock here but a decent 70 percent overclock(on air cooling). Not saying everyone should OC but i am just giving an example of how durable these newer cpu's really are. 2 yrs of putting above stock voltage in it(stock 1.35 and i am on 1.5) and it still works like brand new, rock stable(prime tested for 24hrs) and the temps are still decent.