Author Topic: Sounds for Avast 4 for WHS  (Read 5804 times)

Jerome_A

Sounds for Avast 4 for WHS
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:56:53 AM »
I recently installed avast 4 for WHS on my HP ex470. At avast settings I click on sounds, on the sounds and audio devices properties window I uncheck the mute box click on apply and mute is rechecked. What needs to be done to turn on sound for Avast AV for WHS? Thanks in advance for any help
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:46:10 AM by Jerome_A »

wpn

Re: Sounds for Avast 4 for WHS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
sounds more like there is no soundcard (driver) installed on your system
check if there is a soundcard installed and if there is (physically) if the drivers are installed for it...

but then again: since it is a WHS (Windows Home Server) why would you want sound on the server.... you dont use the server to do anything else then serving right? no browsing or what so ever.... if you want the sound for hearing about infections maybe you should look into e-mail alerts

ps: this thread should be in the special  WHS thread
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:06:28 AM by wpn »

Jerome_A

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply, it's not the server I'm looking to get sounds from. It's an hp ex470 and it doesn't have a sound card or speaker. I figured the sound(s) would be coming from any one of the clients I access the server from. They are all in good working order.
I thought since the server is an HP and avast has to be installed from the software-add ins folder that the .wav files aren't being installed on the clients. The program (avast 4) does have sound files. I also get an error message saying the files could be the wrong type or corrupted. Thought there might be a quick fix.
I was going to uninstall than reinstall, but it won't let me, from either the whs console or even the add/remove programs on the control panel after remote desktop access. Also no repair option on control panel add/remove selection.
I opologise for being in the wrong thread is it? Before I sbmitted I looked above the message box and it indicated avast!WEBforum > avast!supportforums > avast 4 Server Edition.
Feeling kinda lonely out here with only one reply. Thanks again though

wpn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »
im not 100% of how the sounds from avast get addressed, but i guess they get addressed using a windows subsystem.
Since there is no soundcard or driver installed for this on the ex470 avast cannot play the sound. With accessing the server from a client i assume here that you use the Remote Desktop Client that is buildin in windows xp/vista/7. Since the sound subsystem on the server is not running it can not send sounds to you clients since the subsystem is not running to send the sound...

now i hear you think:  but i have itunes streaming wonderful.... and there is the catch, the streaming works differently it doesnt need the windows subsystem for streaming the sound since it is working in a different way

if you want to uninstall avast (even tho the reinstall wont have the effect that you want, i think) you can download the avast uninstall tool http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html, that should work to remove avast propperly

Jerome_A

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:43:28 AM »
WPN

Thanks for the help, and the url link for uninstall tool. I think you're right though, that an uninstall/reinstall won't change anything. I'm not going to uninstall avast because I can't get a few clicks and whirrls or whatever. I'm really satisfied with the program, besides I'm in for a three year license. Thanks again