Author Topic: Invalid License Key  (Read 25589 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Invalid License Key
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
Not really, "C" is also allowed.
However, the last lines are quite strange... can you create the mentioned registry key (manually, using regedit)?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »
DavidR i have just re registered and again got given another licence key starting with C and not W and like before am stating am in the UK and actually used the link you provided

As an aside just done msconfig and shows the following things as stopped under Services

Avast antivirus------------------------stopped
Avast mail scanner---------------------stopped
Avast Web scanner--------------------stopped

some other hings apart from the above are also listed as stopped so what does this mean

All of the registration keys I have received since 2004 have begun with W and many others that have been posted have also begun with W, so I can't explain that.

Hopefully Igor is on to something with the inability to create the registry key.

What other security software do you have installed ?
Anything that might protect the registry, stopping avast from creating the key/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
Right now, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 01:07:26 AM »
Tech I presume he has just done that as I suggested earlier (reply #13, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48765.msg412527#msg412527) and the result was the contents of the setup log and the inability to create the registry key as pointed out by Igor.

I'm now suspecting if the installation wasn't from an account with administrator rights then that would stop any creation of registry keys. So we will ahve to see if he can create the registry key manually as Igor suggests.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 02:45:46 AM »
Strange... if this was happening with Windows 98... problems with registry...
But I suggest an installation from the scratch as I've thought that aswClear.exe will delete the key and, after booting, the installation will run.
Sorry.
The best things in life are free.

darkchild101

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »
Not really, "C" is also allowed.
However, the last lines are quite strange... can you create the mentioned registry key (manually, using regedit)?

Sorry Igor, i am not very computer savvy, what does this mean :'( How do i do what you suggest

Does it mean anything about Avast showing as stopped in some of its functions that its stopped in msconfig

Secondly, whenever i double click on the avast icon, it says its checking memory and startup items ans never finishes doing this even after an hour though it shows window for putting key into