Author Topic: Paypal Service ??? What ?  (Read 4629 times)

Mr.Agent

Paypal Service ??? What ?
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:22 AM »
Hi guy i did receive a email from Paypal which i never got a paypal account so now i open it and see my email provider block the message and say no to open it... ? So i wanna know if this is really true its say Your Purchase from Rob-Electronics.... And i never know this so i did click Previous and start write this post. I hope im not infected if i did open the email and my IM blocked it ?

Thank.

Mr.Agent

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Paypal Service ??? What ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:30:40 AM »
What is the email address of the mail that was sent to you?
Most likely it is fake since you never got a paypal account.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »
Well his email is service@incl.paypal.com and my email provider say this email seem dangerous and no to open it for when i clicked on the email. So i think its mean if there was a virus its not active ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:19:19 AM »
First you would be absolutely crazy to open an email from paypal if you don't even have a paypal account, common sense should tell you that.

Second, just because that is the from address doesn't mean that is who it is from as the from address is no problem to fake.

It is a common phishing tactic that would invariably hope that you are one of the millions that do have a paypal account and try to obtain your logon information, by giving you a log-on link in the email that looks like it is paypal but doesn't go there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:07:15 AM »
I don't use Paypal a lot but they will tell you to log into your account. They do not provide a link to click on. I've forwarded a few of these back to Paypal.
Joe

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »
First you would be absolutely crazy to open an email from paypal if you don't even have a paypal account, common sense should tell you that.

Second, just because that is the from address doesn't mean that is who it is from as the from address is no problem to fake.

It is a common phishing tactic that would invariably hope that you are one of the millions that do have a paypal account and try to obtain your logon information, by giving you a log-on link in the email that looks like it is paypal but doesn't go there.
I was getting a lot of these email requests in my Hotmail account and I kept reporting them and thankfully they have stopped.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Hi guy i did receive a email from Paypal which i never got a paypal account so now i open it and see my email provider block the message and say no to open it... ? So i wanna know if this is really true its say Your Purchase from Rob-Electronics.... And i never know this so i did click Previous and start write this post. I hope im not infected if i did open the email and my IM blocked it ?

Thank.

Mr.Agent
You received an email but it was  NOT from Paypal.
This is the oldest forms of phishing there is and this type of email should never be opened.
If you don't know the party the email comes from and you aren't expecting an email from this party even if you do know them, don't open it.
By all means, do not respond and give them any information.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
One other hint, if you do open it.  Paypal repeatedly warns customers that any legit mail from them (including notices of special offers or new services, etc.) will always address you by your full name. Or company name, if that's how you're registered with them.

Admittedly the baddies will eventually catch onto this (and maybe already have).  But it's an absolute guarantee that anything starting with "Dear valued member" or the like is a fake.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
Yes i didnt opened it. My email provider do block the message for security safe.

Thank guy. For warned me.

I hope those phisher of paypal would get caught 1 day !!! >:(

Mr.Agent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
But you said you opened or tried to open it.

Quote from: Mr.Agent
Hi guy i did receive a email from Paypal which i never got a paypal account so now i open it and see my email provider block the message and say no to open it... ?

So all that saved you from your curiosity and possible harm was your ISP blocking it
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
Yes i opened the email but i didnt opened the message like i say.

My IM was blocked the message for security purpose. So the message wasnt loaded and i think if they warned me is that mean im safe ?

I also marked it as spam on my IM and deleted it so i hope i wont got anymore those email.

Some time im curious. But now i will try to next time even if it paypal or anything else to even never open or look the email.

lol ;D Thank.

Mr.Agent

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »
Hi MrAgent,

Probably you were saved by the bell, anyway that seems so. But rule one here is, and I am never loud but will make an exclusion once: NEVER OPEN UNSOLICITED MAILS. Once hurt will mean twice shy. And you are aware of the following proverb: "Curiosity killed the Operational System" to give the known proverb a twirl.
Do not open mails you know that are too good to be true, do not open attachments even if they promise you the moon, do not open an e-card or mail from a close friend (your friend could be infected). Do not open mails on interesting news events or promising naughty pics. Do not do this if you want your computer to be clean and not being turned into another zombie spamming machine or ridden with malware all sorts, because they are ready to invite some nasty friends once they have found their way into your system,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mr.Agent

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 11:47:47 PM »
I already know this. But i was being curious so i wont be anymore. Thank Polonus. Thank to all. I just cant believe how much guy would do anything for steal a email or identity. ::) :o