Author Topic: How do i contact the administrator of this forum?  (Read 5626 times)

greyshade

How do i contact the administrator of this forum?
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »
As the heading says... if i have a private issue regarding my profile.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do i contact the administrator of this forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
With more than 20 posts, you should be able to edit your Profile.

The Moderators are listed at the top of each forum so you could contact them by PM or email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greyshade

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:39 PM »
With more than 20 posts, you should be able to edit your Profile.

that is my problem. i can edit the profile alright, but the changes don't take effect.  >:(

The Moderators are listed at the top of each forum so you could contact them by PM or email.

pardon me... but am i missing something that everybody else can see?

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »
What changes are you making to the profile?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:36:09 PM by mathboyx215 »
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

greyshade

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:53:35 PM »
In Modify Profile > Account Related Settings....

Selected (checked) the 'Hide email address from public?' check box, and saved at the bottom using my current password... only to find that the change has not been effected.

Have been led through the same drill in a loop for a couple of days now.  ???

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
In Modify Profile > Account Related Settings....

Selected (checked) the 'Hide email address from public?' check box, and saved at the bottom using my current password... only to find that the change has not been effected.

Have been led through the same drill in a loop for a couple of days now.  ???
The change has already took effect.I went to your profile and your email is hidden.Only you and the moderators can see your email
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:12:55 PM by mathboyx215 »
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:15:54 PM »
Your email isn't displayed to the public (see image, the same is true for your profile), only you and the Moderators can see it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:18:01 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greyshade

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
Your email isn't displayed to the public (see image, the same is true for your profile), only you and the Moderators can see it.

thank you for the efforts, mathboy and DavidR... and the consequent reassurance.  :)

my next question:

why do i need to see a mailto: icon with my own email ID under my user name in the Topic page? (even assuming you are right... it is visible to only me and the moderators). Surely, i wouldn't want to send mail to myself? Beats me.  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
I haven't got the slightest idea, but as I mentioned it would have to be there for moderators to see it, so you too would be able to see it but no one else.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »

Think of it like this, greyshade. The moderators have the same rights to your profile as you do.

Therefore, in order for them to be able to see your email, you also will be able to see it.

greyshade

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:34:05 AM »

Think of it like this, greyshade. The moderators have the same rights to your profile as you do.

Therefore, in order for them to be able to see your email, you also will be able to see it.

Point taken, CharleyO... and so it must be.

But IMHO, my second question still remains unanswered.

As in... no problem if the moderators are privy to my email ID. But why can't it just be displayed on my profile page? I can see my email ID there... and, as i discovered, so will each of us to the exclusion of the rest (except, of course... our 'big-brother' moderators :)).

However...

Most of us have chosen not to have our email ID made public.

By appearing then, as an icon on the topics page with a mail:to link (one's own own email ID), its only purpose seems to be limited to serving up a boomerang-like thingy for some gratuitous self-indulgence. ;)

On the other hand, a click on the messenger icon rightly provides a search field allowing for the selection of one's object of desire... as it were, other than self.

Hope this makes sense.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »
By having it there if the Moderator has to contact you for any reason, they just click the email link, otherwise they would have to open your profile to be able to find your email.

It isn't there for you and as has been said no one else can see it other than the moderators. The other problem is that the forum software is a third party application that comes as is whth predefined options/settings and the Moderators or Alwil can't change that. So I suspect that the two areas are linked as the information for the profile info on posts comes from the users profile settings.

I know one thing I don't lose any sleep over it or waste time worrying about it as it is beyond my control and doesn't expose my email to the world.

greyshade

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »
As always... thank you DavidR for taking the time to reply. Also the others who chipped in.

Don't see any need to labour the point further; so let's just put this thread to rest, shall we?

~cheers!