Author Topic: Web Shield in case of K-Meleon Browser  (Read 9839 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield in case of K-Meleon Browser
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 02:42:49 AM »
OK guys, I downloaded k-mellon and I'm using it right now (not that my first impression compared to firefox is that good), but I have added k-meleon.exe to my OptinPtocess list, as I said I had Chrome still in there so I just added the k-meleon.exe.

[WebScanner]
OptinProcess=chrome.exe,k-meleon.exe

And I don't know what I did wrong, but it is working for me with the web shield scaning my browsing in k-meleon. I didn't change the proxy settings in k-meleon.

I did a change and removed chrome.exe, leaving only k-meleon.exe and that still works.

So I guess that having made the you didn't terminate the web shield and then restart it. By not doing that the web shield would still be using the old avast4.ini settings, so it won't work. If you rebooted that would have the same effect as the new avast4.ini settings would be loaded.

Let me know if doing that gets it working for you.

Signing off from k-meleon, I feel naked without my NoScript and oodles of other firefox ad-ons ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »
Weird...I did terminate the webshield before testing it... ???

I even tried using the one from your quote, to no avail...No idea...

Signing off from k-meleon, I feel naked without my NoScript and oodles of other firefox ad-ons ;D
Mmmm....me too...

satish.b

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »
HI All

Thanks to the suggestions provided by David and Scott, I have managed to get avast! to work with K-Meleon. In the screenshot below, you can see avast! Web Shield in action, offering to block the connection to a harmful webpage. I have blanked out the web address of the same.

And by the way Scott and David, you will find the no-script and ad-block add-ons for K-Meleon too.  :)
Just that it requires a little more tweaking to get it to your liking unlike Firefox. However, the browser's performance more than makes up for the initial inconvenience involved in tweaking it. I use a lot of gmail and open up plenty of tabs while browsing. Firefox and IE are slow as molasses when compared to K-Meleon. Now, I shall stop evangelizing K-Meleon usage. 8)

Thanks for your Help.

Regards
Satish

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »
Hi satish.b,

Glad to hear it is working. :)

I presume it was the proxy settings?

I wonder if it is a vista thing then maybe, that the INI didn't work, although it has worked with another browser...

-Scott-

satish.b

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
Hi Scott

I am using the modified INI. Just thought its a more comprehensive method than adding proxy for http alone.

Regards
Satish

spg SCOTT

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how did you get it working? It didn't work for me...

satish.b

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Hi Scott

My avast4.ini looks like this for the web scanner portion:
------------------------------------------------
[WebScanner]
OptinProcess=k-meleon.exe
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
-------------------------------------------------

I am not using the proxy redirect to port 12080 in the browser. Yesterday I was facing trouble with the network shield picking up the eicar test file. Not any more it seems. Would the sequence of entries make any difference? I have placed "OptinProcess" first among the entries.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
That is the same as mine...

The placement shouldn't matter, and I have tried at the start and the end.

Regardless, I am not bothered too much. I don't use K-Meleon ;)

Glad that it works for you, which is the important thing :D

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
I too am happy that it is now working for you. Personally there were a lot of things I didn't like about the interface and many things I couldn't seem to be able to do on configuration.

During the short time I trialled it (playing with the interface and browsing) I didn't see any noticeable difference in speed from firefox 3.5.3 If there is any difference on dial-up it is so small as to be unnoticeable for me, for those on fast broadband it would be even less noticeable.

Different strokes for different folks ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security