Author Topic: I sold my XP Home system  (Read 6333 times)

YoKenny

I sold my XP Home system
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
I was lucky that I ran into my neighbour who I help with his computer and he just bought a Lexmark combo copier/printer/scanner but he could not get it working so I went to his place and saw that the system was a Win/98 system and offered my system to replace it which he accepted.
He does not have much money so he agreed to pay me a bit each month to pay it off.

So now I am the proud owner of a Win98SE system that is not bad as it has 96MB RAM and a Nvidia Riva 128 video adapter and works well after I installed Win98 Updates, removed Microsoft Works and Word then did a defrag that had never been done.  

I was surprised that the system is so clean as it has no anti virus installed so I'll try avast! and see how it works out.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:22:07 PM by YoKenny »

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: I sold my XP Home system
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »
The best thing about windows 98 is that most of the malware out there are designed for xp and vista.
Wonder if there are any browsers out there that supports 98
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
I need sweets  ;D

edit : just kidding, kenny.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:47:59 PM by nmb »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
The best thing about windows 98 is that most of the malware out there are designed for xp and vista.
Wonder if there are any browsers out there that supports 98
I guess I'll try Opera 10 as it worked on my old PIII that died but offered up its 2 massive 80GB hard drives that I now use as backup drives with one permanantly mounted in the XP Pro system and the other in a USB external drive unit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:08:17 AM by YoKenny »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »
why did you give your xp for 98?.. (i know it earned some bucks) but why?

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
why did you give your xp for 98?.. (i know it earned some bucks) but why?
I never gave it up as I have 3 systems and love resurecting old systems and helping people get connected to the Internet. 

I purchased the system now with Windows 7 as I was feeling left behind and want to keep up and the XP Pro system is way too expensive for people here to hope to sell and get what it is still worth.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »
Hmmm..

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:15:54 AM »
I'm not having much luck installing avast! on this system as its only a PII 266MHZ and it takes ages to boot up and the protection never becomes active even waiting for an hour after a couple or reboots. 

It also suffered the dreaded Shutdown hang then would have to run the scandisk at boot up.

I guess I'll stick to Opera 10 and the HOSTS file for protection.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »
I'm not having much luck installing avast! on this system as its only a PII 266MHZ and it takes ages to boot up and the protection never becomes active even waiting for an hour after a couple or reboots. 

It also suffered the dreaded Shutdown hang then would have to run the scandisk at boot up.

I guess I'll stick to Opera 10 and the HOSTS file for protection.
Why install an antivirus on 98?Currently,I don't think there is any malware targeting 98.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:57:47 AM »
I don't think there is any malware targeting 98.
Not targeting... but there are tons of malware that "work" on Windows 98...
The best things in life are free.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 03:22:32 AM »
I don't think there is any malware targeting 98.
Not targeting... but there are tons of malware that "work" on Windows 98...
Maybe you can name some?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 03:42:34 AM »
How about all the ones that came out when win98 was in its prime, they are still out there. Many work on all win32 flavours.

We still see many win98 users in the viruses and worms forums. So no specific malware names to pull out of the hat, I don't get that excited about categorising what viruses effect what OSes, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
I was surprised that the system is so clean as it has no anti virus installed so I'll try avast! and see how it works out.

So, how is avast on 98, did it work well? (I heard the support for Win 98/ME will be last till this year ends)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »
Maybe you can name some?
I'm not a virus expert. Maybe the answer is on what David said.
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
Maybe you can name some?

Things change. I think you have to run 98 to find whats threatening nowdays. I used to run avast on 98 and the match was ideal - I even run it on MMX with P 75Mhz cpu with 92mb ram and no issues. But I think avast is now upgraded past that ideal to support the bigger operating systems of today (128mb ram is not enough for avast any more but still enough for 98). To run avast on 98 you need to put in work like enthusiast, and like open source, it is not all done for you by default. And I think virus will be same, but you have to run it to find out. There are some on the forum still run avast with 98.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.