Author Topic: Question about the program...  (Read 4202 times)

GeekBoy

Question about the program...
« on: June 14, 2003, 04:37:51 AM »
Hi.  Can any Avast Anti-virus users tell me - can this program be installed and used without having *ANY* automatic detection crap running in the background?  Also, can it be set to not load *ANY* TSRs or other processes on Windows boot-up?

All I want is a virus program that I can run MANUALLY on any files I download.  I don't want it constantly scanning my memory/hard drive, eating up resources and slowing my machine down.  I understand that a virus prog in a constant state of alert is essential for some dopey, mainstream computer user, but for those of us who can actually recognize suspect files and email attachments, I want something that doesn't constantly hold your hand.

There must be thousands of us more advanced PC users out there with a demand for this type of virus scanner - is Avast's the one to fit the bill?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Question about the program...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 12:27:25 PM »
Yes, it works perfekt, if you make a cotum install. After install and restart you have to delete two or three files from the Startup folder and Registry.
One file will still come back after each update(ashdisp.exe) But you can ignore it or delete it again in the Registry.
MfG Ralf

GeekBoy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 05:03:42 PM »
Thanks!  So I do have to go through the whole initial scan process, loading all the TSRs into memory, but then with fiddling, I can remove it all?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 08:11:58 PM »
Yes you have to do the whole installing procedure, but you can delete the Startupprograms before doing a restart. E.g. by using msconfig.
MfG Ralf