Author Topic: 4.8 Home addition locks up when running full scan  (Read 3452 times)

jb100

4.8 Home addition locks up when running full scan
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
When running a full scan with 4.8 home edition in the last week Avast runs for a certain period & then just quits.  It's run from 2% to 53% but never completes the scan.  I'm running Windows XP.  3 ghz. 3 gig ram.  Tried for several days to run a full scan.  When I open Windows task manager it says the scan is running but the Avast simple user interface just stays at a low %.  Right now I've been running since 9 PM last night & the interface says 47490 files tested,  5% complete, the same as at 5 AM this morning.  750 gig hard drive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 4.8 Home addition locks up when running full scan
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

Do you use ZoneAlarm?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38353.msg321609#msg321609
The best things in life are free.

jb100

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:35:16 AM »
Just Avast freezes.  No not at the same point or file as explained in the post between 2% & 53% completed.  Only Avast seems to quit.  All other programs & activities are accesable. Avast doesn't disappear, it just quits.  I try to make settings and it says it can't because it is running & yet no progress is made.  The hard drive light is not on or showing activity.  Yes I'm running Zone Alarm Pro but haven't had conflicts inthe past.  Thanks for your responce.

jb100

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:37:22 AM »
PS  Been running almost 24 hrs now & still at the same percetage as 12 hrs ago!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »
If you're running ZA, follow the directions to exclude the log file.

jb100

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:00:03 AM »
OK,  I uninstalled Zone Alarm & installed Comodo firewall.  Same problem.  What next?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:24:17 AM »
Try a repair of Avast. (Control panel>add/remove programs>Avast and select "change". A repair dialogue will appear as one of the options.)

What other security software is run?
What AV was installed (or is installed) - no matter how long ago - before Avast?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:28 AM »
OK,  I uninstalled Zone Alarm & installed Comodo firewall.  Same problem.  What next?
Jumping out of the fire(wall) into the fire is the problem to paraprase a common idiom:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/jump+out+of+the+frying+pan+into+the+fire
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/dead+duck

Does avast! Full scan work without a software firewall?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
Please, follow Reply #1 and post the full name and path of the file.