Author Topic: disable avast but not uninstall it  (Read 4036 times)

antivirer

disable avast but not uninstall it
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
hello

Avastsvc.exe consumes 30,000K mem usage as task manager shows and this is alot

is there a way to permanently disable Avast from loading/working, but not uninstall it?

please note I don't want to do this procedure each time I restart Windows, ie I don't want Avast to load each time Windows start and each time to disable it from its menu

I know that it is supposed to protect etc, but I don't use antivirus at all most of the time

thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:27:11 PM by antivirer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: disable avast but not uninstall it
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
avast is not intended to run as on-demand only.
Besides if you disable it, you'll be without an antivirus.
Disable is not enough to install another one. If avast is not what you're looking for, uninstall and try some other, but keep an antivirus on.
Oh, maybe buy some RAM :)

You can remove the startup entry (avastui.exe) and disable the services. But the low level drivers will be loading. You can't install another antivirus.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
@ the OP: you call 30.000 KB a lot ??? how much RAM have you got? anyway there's something wrong if it takes that much when idle...but on "normal" systems, this should have no impact. Something wrong because it doesn't take that much here: svc takes about 10.000 KB here and UI takes 5.000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:26:44 PM »
When you compare what is an essential application with others using memory avast isn't a really big deal on my system. Not to mention RAM is there to be used, if 30MB concerns you then increasing RAM will help overall system performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security