Author Topic: Avast stopping my internet connection? Thats a good one!  (Read 24551 times)

Dragonhawk

Avast stopping my internet connection? Thats a good one!
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
Dear makers of the AV,

I will stop using you AV because I don't like it anymore. I do have you software for like a half year now and it worked very well. Now I do have a big question for you. How do AV protect my when your software is blocking my whole internet connection? How it started.

I had Avast home free ED en it worked for allmost a half year very well. Now, 2 weeks ago it started with strange problems. In the first days it blocks only the first 1 min my internet connection and a week later it was getting worser and worser. Now i don't have my internetconnection, only if i stop the software of yours. A bit strange because it was 3 months ago that I changed some configuration thinks. In thats months later I changed nothing it is. Now I'm internet without your software is active.. TELL ME, WHAT THE F.CK happend?

Sorry if you will see spellfaults in it. I do got dislexion.

YoKenny

Re: Avast stopping my internet connection? Thats a good one!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
Welcome  Dragonhawk

Please let us know what the Web site is so that it can be investigated.

Post it as wXw.badsite.com so that it is not clickable.

Let us know what operating system and Service Pack you are running.

Dragonhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
Windows XP SP3 Legal.

ALL websites... And now he is turned off and now it works fine.. so i do think its a problem INSIDE the software

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
What firewall do you use?
Does it allow access for the avast! files?
(ashWebServ.exe and others)

You may have to remove the avast! entries and the start browsing, this will force it to ask again and then you can allow it.

What was your previous antivirus?
How was it removed?

Dragonhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
FIREWALL: NONE
Never had problems with it but now 2 weeks ago it started.

Past AV? Non, only this one.

Dragonhawk

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »
only i get in the log 2 errors.

15-7-2009 23:24:55   SYSTEM   1436   AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of http(:)//saimei.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/5.0.2/i386/iso-cd/debian-502-i386-netinst.iso failed, 0000001E. 
30-8-2009 13:48:45   SYSTEM   1448   AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of http(:)//download.microsoft.com/download/e/e/9/ee9d0116-c9fe-4fc2-b59c-406cbfb6d515/xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso failed, 00000084. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »
avast shouldn't be blocking any connection, as it only scans, does not block.
Maybe a problem with your hosts file, maybe your computer is infected and you need to get clean.
The errors you've posted seems just verbose of the logs.
The best things in life are free.

Dragonhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
I allways scan with Malwarebytes AV every 2 a 3 weeks over my laptop and its allways clean. I can go on msn and can do MSRDP. And I'm a IT student and im for sure i don't have a virus.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »
Do you have the same problem with a different browser ?

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »
Any other security program that could interfere?
If you disable WebShield, can you browse properly?
The best things in life are free.

Dragonhawk

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
Other browsers doing the same thing. And I discoverd self yesterday if i stop the webscanfunctie I could browse again.

ianw22

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
Other browsers doing the same thing. And I discoverd self yesterday if i stop the webscanfunctie I could browse again.

I have the exact same problem and have had for a long time.  I get the message 'website found.  Waiting for reply' in IE and it also doesn't work in FF.  However I know I am connect to the net as Email and any streaming content still works when the browsers won't unless you stop and start Web Shield.

Oggy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »
I have the same problem. Explanation:

1) I can go to the internet fine.
2) After an hour or more of browsing, NONE of my browsers can connect (IE, FF, Chrome).
3) However, I can still play online games without a problem.
4) If I restart the computer the problem goes away.

I'm running a Vista 32bit system with a Firewall (The problem is not the firewall) and another utility program that alerts me (barks) when anything wants to do something on the registry, etc. I run Malwarebytes and actively run process explorer to see what's running in the background. I also modified msconfig and control what programs/services run and whatnots... Anyway, I don't believe I have a virus infection, root kit, etc.

I have done some testing and I uninstalled the Firewall because most connection problems will find the root there. However, the problem still came back without the firewall. I uninstalled avast and the problem went away with it. By process of elimination, avast is the cause of this problem.

Now I really like your software and I am willing to stay with you guys but I need your help in trying to figure out what's going on with this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

shelant

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
i have the same problem - i just got a new computer (well its an old one that has been cleaned). the internet was working fine for about 10 minutes while i was waiting for the avast home ed to install. As soon as the computer rebooted and was up and running, i couldn't get onto any websites. i found this forum (using my laptop) and decided to "stop on-access protection" and the internet works again!!!
I've used avast before on my old laptop and its worked fine for about 2 years. So what should i do? get a different antivirus? by the way, how do i uninstall it?
thanks!

SJesMe

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
I am having the same problem and have read in these forums of this browser freeze issue going back to at least March. I have XP Pro SP3 with 3gb ram on a 1.8 GHz dual-core. I flip back and forth between IE7 and Firefox 3.5.4. I don't usually have more than 2 tabs open at once (not much of a multitasker). I'll use a Facebook example (but it is not limited to Facebook usage): I'm transitioning into a Facebook app and it never gets past the "loading ..." message. I click refresh and the screen flashes but the message remains the same. If I click the "x" to stop it from trying to load and then attempt to navigate into another app, I cannot ... but occasionally I can get back to the home page. From there, I cannot navigate anywhere else (even via a link). I close the browser, reopen it and try to connect to Google and get "Found website, Waiting for reply" or something to that effect but cannot connect.

Essentially, I've lost my internet connection (even though other computers in the house have not). The only way to regain functionality is via reboot. Task Manager says ashWebSv.exe is eating 90-100% of my cpu when this happens.

I have literally disabled everything else to determine if there is a conflict and the only time the freeze doesn't happen is if I have shut down avast! before going online, which is really not much help to me, now is it ...

I'm using avast! version 4.8.1201 home edition. I'd hate to have to switch AV programs as, up until about a month or so ago, it suited my needs perfectly and I found it quite reliable. Unfortunately, this freeze up happens multiple times a day and there's no way I want to live with it. Other than the gazillion MS updates that bombard me regularly and Skype (which is almost always off - not just offline, but off), I haven't installed anything new which may have caused the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.